Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Connection speed dropped by 60%

This is a discussion on Connection speed dropped by 60% within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been a member here since March 2007 when I first got Sky Broadband. In the past 6 months ...

dancingdog777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01425
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connection speed dropped by 60%

I have been a member here since March 2007 when I first got Sky Broadband.

In the past 6 months using the test page http://192.168.0.1/ I have noticed my downstream connection speed dropping from around 16,000 kbps to, today, 7002 kbps.

On Thursday night (when speed was 8186 kbps) I rang Sky themselves and after the usual 45 minute wait for an operator to become available (at my expense!) I spoke to a woman. When I explained my problem she asked me to disconnect the modem router (grey DG box) while she tested the line. She said it was the filters had worn out and even though I have replaced them with brand new ones, the download speed is still dropping to 7002 today.

Sky broadband used to be very good and in the past their operators were knowledgeable and helpful. I think the specimen I got must have been a Talk Talk reject!

Any advice apart from cancelling the DD?

- - - Updated - - -

Connection speed dropped by 60%-screenshot-202.jpg

Actual test done 10 minutes ago.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Connection speed dropped by 60%

There are a number of things which could cause this.

Could we ask you to check your telephone line with a corded phone first please?

Plug it into the Test Socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise on the line. Ideally it should be reasonably quiet. There should be no crackling of loud hissing.

Also, have you got any spare microfilters? They genuinely do fail, normally slowly, after a couple of years. It would be worth swapping the old one/s out to confirm this.

Another issue which appears to be around is related to fibre. Does your area already have Fibre or are they currently installing it? It is possible that your telephone cable has been affected.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line or router has developed a fault. Plug into your Test socket and post your stats. How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket This will show whether your internal line or external line is causing the problem.

There is an outside chance that your router is failing. Do you have another router you can try? It does not have to be a Sky one, as long as you can connect it, it should sync with the exchange and show the sync speed. If this increases then your router is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have two telephone extension sockets here and neither are the modern BT master sockets. I unscrewed the screws at the request of the Sky operator and neither socket has a test socket beneath the cover.

I have fitted two brand new micro filters to both sockets and there is no fibre cabling in our street. Unfortunately we do not posses a corded telephone.

I reguarly have to restart the wireless modem ( done it about ten times today). The results of the stattistics on http://192.168.0.1/ are currently :
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7002 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0db 14.2db
      Noise Margin 6.9db 14.0db

The downstream connection speed has dropped from 8186 kbps which was it's speed before I rang Sky last Thursday to 7002 kbps. The woman said she was going to adjust the profile, guess she turned it anti-clockwise instead!

A month or so ago it was steady at about 11,000 kbps and 12 months ago it was about 15,800 kbps.

Something's not right. Thanks for trying to help so far.

Thanks

PS Is there a modern equivalent to the Mosseywell Bounce program from donkey's years ago that worked extremely well to extract the secret Sky modem codes? ( PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats) I've got a spare Thomson Speedtouch 580/580i wireless modem I could try to see if it's the provided Sky router that's gone bad.

Thanks

Ok, that does help a little.

With regards to your sockets, one should have a capacitor behind it. It will typically be around the size of a AAA battery. This will be the master socket.

The reason for the telephone test is to identify any potential noise on the line. A wireless phone can either introduce or suppress the noise, which is why we specifically ask for a corded phone to be used. Are you able to borrow a corded telephone?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dancingdog777 View Post
      PS Is there a modern equivalent to the Mosseywell Bounce program from donkey's years ago that worked extremely well to extract the secret Sky modem codes? ( PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats) I've got a spare Thomson Speedtouch 580/580i wireless modem I could try to see if it's the provided Sky router that's gone bad.
      If you want to monitor the connection speed, then RouterStats Lite is a good tool.

I'm not sure that your Thomson Speedtouch 580/580i would work on Sky's connection. It is an old router and I do not think it can cope with ADSL2+.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

try connecting other router or borrow another more modern router see what that syncs at , if higher noise margins and increased sync then could be dodgy sky router , but most likely is some interference (internal) or line fault
      problem with internal wiring is eliminating noise for 2nd unless you have test socket ,if you know a good spark could disconnect 2nd socket for to test internals if you cant hear any noise on telephone line

Thanks

Tried all the above. Just ran the Sky Broadband checker with these results:
      Your most recent test results
      Test taken
      (up to) Download
      Speed (Kbps) Upload
      Speed (Kbps)
      17 December, 2012 01:37:30 624 Kbps 182 Kbps
      27 February, 2011 10:47:26 9416 Kbps 612 Kbps

From the above dismal figures you can see that my speed has dropped by 94% in just under two years!

Right now it's slower than dial up!

Wish Sky would take an interest - up to 40 meg, what a **** take!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is really dismal, are you getting the same speed on other devices? If you haven't tried, please do so. If you have only one PC, please try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and repeat the test. If you are using a Mac, there is not much you can do except phone Sky and tell them how bad you connection is and you want it fixed asap or you will be going elsewhere. It is really unacceptable that you should be getting 16-18mbps, with a minimum throughput of 14-16Mb and are stuck with what you have.

Have you tried ringing 17070 and going through the options? This may bring something to light.

Right now it's slower than dial up!
      Its no consolation but it it actually much faster than dial up, about 10-12 times faster. We tend to forget just how slow dial up was. With today's graphics heavy web pages, dial up would be almost unusable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast