Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Weak wireless signal no better with new Sky Hub

This is a discussion on Weak wireless signal no better with new Sky Hub within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All Finally connected to Sky a few months ago (very long story for another time) and was using their ...

stangat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Weak wireless signal no better with new Sky Hub

Hi All

Finally connected to Sky a few months ago (very long story for another time) and was using their wireless router. I am getting a wired speed of about 10mbs but I get a very good signal in rooms close to the router but it dies away to nothing about 15 feet away. Basically this means one bedroom and sitting room don't get any signal at all.
      I saw the info for the new Hub and decided to buy one. It arrived very quickly and I installed it with anticipation. Unfortunately it gives exactly the same results. The kids are definitely not happy as they also want fibre but I've told them I'm not paying for fibre until I sort this out.
      Do you think I am missing something or is this a fact of life?
      One thought I did have, would I be able to use a home plug, think that's what it's called, where I connect the Hub to one of them and connect the old Sky router to the other end? My thinking being it could rebroadcast the wireless signal but I a) don't know if it would work and b) how to do it.

I've tried to search for a guide on the forum but haven't found anything yet. This is probably because I don't really know what things are called etc.

Any help would be greatly received and appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Weak wireless signal no better with new Sky Hub

Ethernet or homeplugs will usually be preferable to wireless in the same way as a decent router from ASUS or Lynksis will always be preferred to the junk lobbed out by ISP's.

I'm getting great service from an ASUS RT-N16 running Tomatousb piggy backed to the DMZ of the SR-101.

I've never used homeplugs but I think they are pretty much plug and pray. IIRC it helps if they are all on the same ringmain.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Weak wireless signal no better with new Sky Hub

Certainly I would agree with jrfer in respect of running your older router off the Sky Hub SR101. If you can't run an Ethernet Cable behind the wall, perhaps with a faceplate to tidy it all up, you can certainly use a pair of HomePlugs.

For help setting up the 2nd router, take a look at this guide:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms