Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By keithchesher

WIFI locking out on Netgear DG34G

This is a discussion on WIFI locking out on Netgear DG34G within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since my son brought a 4th generation IPad, we are having prolems with our wifi being locked out when he ...

keithchesher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: west wigston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

WIFI locking out on Netgear DG34G

Since my son brought a 4th generation IPad, we are having prolems with our wifi being locked out when he uses the Ipad. it only started doing it with the new Ipad and we dont have any problems with his Ipad 2nd gen. We also have an IPhone and 3 Ipod touches and these do not cause any problems. I have tried renewing the lease, changing the HTTP to AUTO, changing channels on the router. Can't change encryption from WEP beacause we have a PC using an old wireless card that doesn't support WPA. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
      Last edited by keithchesher; 07-11-12 at 10:52 PM.

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: WIFI locking out on Netgear DG34G

I'm not 100% certain on your problem but have you tried assigning static IP addresses to each device using the LAN IP setup in the router. This may solve the problem. I haven't encoutered this problem myself. I'll see if I can find a tutorial link for the LAN IP setup.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Could I suggest that you try setting the router to use WPA2-AES and see if that cures the problems?

If it does, please seriously consider either updating the PC (Win XP SP2 and later supports WPA2, adaptor firmware updates should also be available) or connect it via a pair of HomePlugs. WEP is insecure and easily hacked. From next year it will start to be phased out permanently and new devices may no longer support WEP.

WiFi adaptors are quite cheap these days and fairly easy to install. USB ones are very easy to set up and work well, if you are uncomfortable with opening up the PC.

If it is a laptop, there are also various solutions available.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You might find you are able to connect using WEP if you set it up with 128bit encryption using a 13 character ASCII password. As Scubbie says WEP is not in the least secure, it is open not just to clever hackers, but to anyone who can use a keyboard. If you doubt this have a look at the link below. Apart from this, if you are using Wireless N, it will greatly reduce the speed of anything connected to the network.

This link is given in the hope that anyone still using WEP will reconsider and spend the few pounds required to update their old equipment. It is not to encourage anyone to hack their neighbours wireless network.
      How To Crack Your Own WEP Network To Find Out Just How Insecure It Really Is

You should also note that using a wireless reservation list, either on its own or in conjunction with WEP, is just as bad as using no protection at all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

keithchesher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: west wigston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Having set the router to WPA from WEP, we seem to have cured the problem, the Ipad has been connected since saturday last with no problems and it only cost me the price of a network adapter for the older PC.
      Thanks for the advice guys

Keith
      Scubbie likes this.