Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best adapter for sagem router

This is a discussion on Best adapter for sagem router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi advice needed for the best adapter to go with our sky sagem router (no idea of the model of ...

tammysc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: sagem
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Best adapter for sagem router

Hi advice needed for the best adapter to go with our sky sagem router (no idea of the model of the router - looked on the router itself and can only find a long number). Our internet connection with our desktop computer in a room upstairs is absolutely rubbish and i am wondering if we have the wrong sort of adapter. Which one would be best - I appreciate you probably need to know the model of the router so if someone could point me in the right direction for finding that I can then post all the relevant details. thanks - my OH is driving me crazing it's his computer that struggles with internet connection.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts
      If it is shiny black underneath and silver on top, then you have the Sagem 2504N.

This being the case, the ideal WiFe adaptor will support up to 300mbps on the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Whilst the router only supports 144Mbps, any thing less won't make the most of this speed.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Best adapter for sagem router

Hi no it's just plain black- the adapter we have at the moment is belkin 802.11g-54mbps.

Thanks

Re: Best adaptor for Sagem router

I wonder if you have the Sagem 2304n then.

Sagem 2504 (WiFi g router)

Sagem 2304n (WiFi n router, 72mbps)

Sagem 2504N (WiFi N router - 144mbps)

If your WiFi g adaptor then it will work with any of the above routers. Obviously it will be limited to 54mbps as this is the max speed which WiFi g supports.

If you have the Sagem 2304n, then look for a WiFi n adaptor that can support 150mbps or better. Personally I would go for at least 300mbps in order to be ready to support future routers.

If you have the Sagem 2504N then please consider getting an adaptor which supports 300mbps.

As for which specific adaptor to get, this depends on what adaptor you have and how confident you are at changing it, as well as how easy it is to replace and certain support issues (some internal adaptors don't work with some computers).

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it is a desktop PC you might want to consider Homeplugs. These will give pretty near full ethernet speed and are more reliable than wireless. Aria have a very good offer on today for a pair of 200mbps Trendnet homeplugs - You will pay as much for a decent wireless adapter. TRENDnet 200Mbps Mini Powerline Pass Through Ethernet Adapter (Pack of 2) - Aria Technology

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi thanks for the replies it looks like the 2504 wifi g router. It is a desktop pc we have. The router is connected directly to the telephone socket downstairs to avoid extension cables and the desktop pc upstairs has only a couple of bars shown for the internet connection whereas the laptop has all the bars - this is why we are thinking it is perhaps the adaptor. Also the xbox is very slow when playing online. How do the homeplugs work? Am I right in thinking that you plug one into the wall and connect the router using an ethernet cable. The other is then plugged into where the other computer and xbox are do you then have to connect the computer/xbox to the plug? Sorry being a bit thick.

Thanks

A simple diagram:

Router --> Ethernet cable --> HomePlug (in wall socket, not surge protected extension lead)

HomePlug (again in wall socket) --> Ethernet cable --> Device

The 'Device' can be anything from your PC to the Xbox or even a Network Switch. A Network Switch would allow you to connect multiple devices to share the connection.

Also, if you need multiple access points, you could purchase additional HomePlugs to the same specification and add them to the group (up to 4 in all).