Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed

This is a discussion on Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme There are several versions of the Q210 and on top of that there are several Wireless ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are several versions of the Q210 and on top of that there are several Wireless adapters used in each version. You would have to find out firstly if the card is user accessible and secondly which particular card is installed at the moment. A close up picture of this would be useful if you can get access to it. In some versions of your notebook the RAM is installed under the keyboard, which must be removed to change it. There is a good chance the wireless adapter is the same.

Unless you are confident about taking your machine apart, you might be better considering a USB adapter. The other alternative is an Express Card adapter, which would be more convenient as it could be left in place. There are 2 standard sizes of these so you would have to be sure you got one that will fit. Something like this-
      Belkin N1 Series Wireless Notebook Card MIMO 802.11g 300Mbps Ref F5D8011uk: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      It is an NP-Q210-FSS1UK and has an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter in it at the moment.

I am going to take it to a laptop repair place to have the card fitted rather than fit it myself as I wouldn't really know what I was doing. I would rather buy an internal card than have a USB dongle plugged in all of the time.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

An Express card should not project more than a few millimetres.

The one I linked to does not get good reveiws but it is only for an example.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...7485476&sr=8-6

Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11n Mini Card Model:533AN_HMW: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 - Network adapter - PCI Express Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWA-6...85865&sr=1-206

So either the 1st, 2nd or 4th one would be ok to use ?

Thanks

No these are PCI express cards which is different from an Express Card. They have to be fitted inside the laptop, replacing the existing one. An Express card simply slides into a slot on the side of your laptop. They come in 2 different widths, I think it is 34 and 54 mm. Yours I think is the smaller one.-
      This one gets a better write up but it does not give its size, although it looks like the smaller one, you would have to get confirmation.-
      Belkin N Wireless Expresscard: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok. I have a slot on one side of the laptop which looks like it may house one of these cards. So these just 'plug and play' like a USB dongle does ? What is the benefit of one of these over a dongle and you mentioned it would have very limited wireless range ? One of these would be ideal if it goes inside the laptop and is hidden away although I do not have a problem taking the laptop somewhere and having someone fit a PCI card if this is the better option.

Thanks

So these just 'plug and play' like a USB dongle does ?
      After you install the drivers of course.

What is the benefit of one of these over a dongle and you mentioned it would have very limited wireless range ?
      They don't stick out so far. I have seen 10mm mentioned somewhere. I doubt if the range would be that limited.

I do not have a problem taking the laptop somewhere and having someone fit a PCI card if this is the better option.
      That would be the best option, provided you have sufficient built in aerials to accommodate the new card. The shop would be able to tell you this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      After you install the drivers of course.

They don't stick out so far. I have seen 10mm mentioned somewhere. I doubt if the range would be that limited.

That would be the best option, provided you have sufficient built in aerials to accommodate the new card. The shop would be able to tell you this.
      So when you said it should not project more than a few mms you meant stick out a few mms.

Thanks

Yes, I was using 'project' as a verb.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Splendid. Is this likely to achieve my max 40mrg as the Trendnet usb adapter I bought did not i.e. is it a higher spec ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F5D80...4100823&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o06_s00_i00

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      Splendid. Is this likely to achieve my max 40mrg as the Trendnet usb adapter I bought did not i.e. is it a higher spec ?
      In theory they should both be the same as they are both advertised as WiFi N 300mbps. As I said previously I have my doubts about 'mini' adapters, due mainly to the very restricted size of their aerials. I'm afraid it is a suck it and see situation.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast