Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed

This is a discussion on Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; No problem about the settings. Different cards offer different customisable options. As for asking Sky, many of the first line ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Trendnet wireless adapter producing fluctuating download speed

No problem about the settings. Different cards offer different customisable options.

As for asking Sky, many of the first line of support would not know the WiFi n speeds like we have explained. It can be very confusing.

Any WiFi card that support b/g/n at up to 300mb/s would be fine, provided that it is compatible with your laptop's connector and is the correct physical size. Any good local laptop repair place will be able to handle that as there aren't that many variations in reality and you will not be the first.

Why 300mbps when the Sky router is 144mb/s? Simply because 144mb/s is the fastest speed on a single channel. The 300mb/s is the maximum speed on a paired channel. I haven't seen any WiFi adaptors which support specifically 144mb/s.

There are 3rd party routers which support better speeds but in fairness your laptop probably won't appreciate a 450mb/s WiFi connection as it would probably struggle to push the data through at the speed of 225mb/s-250mb/s (the actual throughput rate for 450mb/s WiFi).

For reference one of the early tests I did with the Sky hub was to see just how fast the WiFi could handle things. Using a single computer and one of my NAS drives I maxed it out at 80mb/s. This is the most the 100mb LAN can handle. When doing the same test via my WNDR3800 router (WiFi = 300mb, LAN = 1Gbit) I was able to achieve ~160mb/s.

Any firewall and AV software, plus the processor, RAM and Hard drive specifications will affect the individual performance of any computer.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I haven't seen any WiFi adaptors which support specifically 144mb/s.
      I think that may be a Sky 'thing'. The majority of manufacturers quote 150mbps, and there are many adapters capable of this speed, although this is the maximum throughput, not the actual, which can be much less.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I found that the only cards which I had seen to date that support 150mb/s only work at that speed on a paired channel.

The BT HomeHub v3 also supports 144mb/s on a single channel.

When I was playing with my Netgear DGND3700 I could also set it to support no more than 144mb/s on a single channel. The WNDR3800 can be set to 54mb/s, 130mb/s and 300mb/s.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So the bottom line is my network adapter is not capable of receiving the max sky fibre download speed and I am right to try and return it for a refund ?

Thanks
      The adaptor obviously can't connect at the max WiFi speed that the router can handle.

Without knowing who you got it from and what was said I can't say if you will have any luck returning it.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The adaptor obviously can't connect at the max WiFi speed that the router can handle.

Without knowing who you got it from and what was said I can't say if you will have any luck returning it.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner
      Its a long shot but when i was in device manager i noticed that my SM Bus Controller has an exclamation mark next to it as it has no driver installed. Could this be affecting my broadband speed ? I have tried running the pre installed Samsung Update Plus program but it says the laptop is up to date.

Thanks

It is a possibility. That is the System Management controller and without it your hardware may not be being properly recognised. If you have an Intel board you will find he driver here -
      Support for the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility

If you have an AMD, you will have to search Goolge for the SM Controller for your particular board.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks. I ran the program to automatically check that everything was up to date and it has disappeared now so I assume that has fixed it. Speed still the same though but worth a try.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem, we all make mistakes.

As I mentioned early on, personally I got the internal WiFi adaptor changed in a couple of laptops that I have. One I managed to do myself, the other was a little more work and sourcing a card to fit was a little harder (the older one).

If you are interested could you post a couple of pics of the side and underside of your laptop and post them up here. Use a photo editing program to hide the serial numbers and license number of Windows. alternatively, if you know what you are looking for, open up the panel underneath that hides the existing WiFi inside your laptop and post a picture of the existing card.

To give you an idea, these are some of the options:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-W...7485476&sr=8-6

Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11n Mini Card Model:533AN_HMW: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300 - Network adapter - PCI Express Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (draft): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWA-6...85865&sr=1-206

An alternative idea might be to consider that for the laptop you have, the adaptor that you have is perfectly fine. Streaming HD (720p, 1080i or 1080p) video would stream alright, but can the laptop actually display it without the picture breaking up?
      Scubbie (or anyone else for that matter) - which of these 4 would you recommend for me to receive the full 40meg broadband speed for my laptop (Sumsung Q210) ? They are a variety of prices but all get good reviews. I just want to make sure that it will do the job after my last dongle not being suitable. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

There are several versions of the Q210 and on top of that there are several Wireless adapters used in each version. You would have to find out firstly if the card is user accessible and secondly which particular card is installed at the moment. A close up picture of this would be useful if you can get access to it. In some versions of your notebook the RAM is installed under the keyboard, which must be removed to change it. There is a good chance the wireless adapter is the same.

Unless you are confident about taking your machine apart, you might be better considering a USB adapter. The other alternative is an Express Card adapter, which would be more convenient as it could be left in place. There are 2 standard sizes of these so you would have to be sure you got one that will fit. Something like this-
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wirel...cp_computers_3

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast