Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

how to extend wireless range

This is a discussion on how to extend wireless range within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a sagem 2504 router supplied by sky sited in an upstairs bedroom. When set to Channel 11 the ...

bloomfieldoracle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

how to extend wireless range

I have a sagem 2504 router supplied by sky sited in an upstairs bedroom. When set to Channel 11 the signal used to reach downstairs pretty well. Now no matter which channel I use the signal doesn't now reach downstairs. Have also tried moving the router around upstairs and downstairs where possible with connections to no avail. So I am looking at boosting the signal. But there is so much conflicting advice/stories about wireless extenders/WAPs etc.

Frustrating because the next door but one (in semis) have exactly the same router, and I get a strong signal from it!

Any advice gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: how to extend wireless range

Frustrating because the next door but one (in semis) have exactly the same router, and I get a strong signal from it!
      Its possibly the later N version. You could try buying one of these, 35 from Sky or maybe less on eBay - Sagem 2504N | eBay

However you may want to hold of for a while as Sky have a new router becoming available which has a reputably better wireless performance. Cost will be around 40.

You might also want to consider a Homeplug network which works through your houses electricity circuit. -
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bloomfieldoracle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for this. Having done a bit more research, it does look like homeplugs might be an answer. Will keep an eye out for the new router though. Any idea when it will be available?

Thanks

You can keep up to date on the new router in this thread -
      Sky's New Router / HUB SR101

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

adrijohn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

In continuation to this, I'm having a similar problem in which the rest of my house (especially downstairs) is not receiving strong signals from my sky D-Link router which is currently in my room and connected to my comp, xbox and blu-ray via ethernet. I want to also connect my sky+ HD box to my network to access anytime+ and have been looking at buying homeplugs.

I've managed to buy a sagem 2504n off ebay but am wondering would it be better to using this with my existing router to extend signal or using or more simply moving the router downstairs with the HD box and connecting a switch to a homeplug in my room.
      Thanks

Thanks

It really depends on what you get from the Master socket. If you have an NTE5 remove the faceplate and plug the router and filter directly into the Test socket. If you don't have an NTE5, remove everything you have connected to the phone line, including STBs, and take the stats from the Master faceplate. Compare the stats with what you get from your existing router position. You are looking for an increase in your downstream noise margin and possibly your sync speed.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Post your stats from both positions and use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky to plug into the Test socket

TomD

Useful Utilites

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

adrijohn (28-09-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

As the phoneline is not in my room I use a 5m hi-speed ADSL cable from the socket to my router and have included those stats as well.

Current router position – Hi-Speed ADSL cable

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18008 kbps 926 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5db 7.4db
      Noise Margin 7.1db 9.5db

Current router position - Sky ADSL cable

Connection Speed 18008 kbps 902 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5db 7.4db
      Noise Margin 6.8db 8.3db

Master test socket - sky ADSL cable

Connection Speed 18008 kbps 926 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.0db 7.7db
      Noise Margin 7.7db 9.0db
      Last edited by adrijohn; 29-09-12 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks

There is not enough difference in any of the stats to make any difference, so you should use the most convenient method. Your best way would be to use the Sagem 2504N to connect to the internet and using homeplug, connect the Dlink to the Sky router and use it as a switch. It is up to you whether you use its wireless, a little experimenting will show what is best. Follow the instructions here to connect the routers.
      How to connect two Routers together

TomD

Useful Utilites

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

adrijohn (30-09-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help. One final question, would 200mbps homeplugs be substantial or should I be looking into getting 500mbps ones (with or without gigabit ports)?

Thanks

I would advise getting as high a speed rating as you can afford. 200mbps would be fast enough for ADSL but if you upgrade to fibre, they may not cope too well with the higher speed. Although they are advertised as 200mbps, this is duplex, meaning 100mbps one way and 100mbps the other. These are theoretical speeds, the 100mbps will be further reduced in actual use to 50-60mbps, even lower if your wiring is not 100%.

TomD

Useful Utilites