Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

As everyone has been so very helpful... Any ideas here?

This is a discussion on As everyone has been so very helpful... Any ideas here? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Right, this isn't strictly a sky problem any more. I have a sky segam router and via powerline adapters I ...

GRTCW24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01483
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As everyone has been so very helpful... Any ideas here?

Right, this isn't strictly a sky problem any more.

I have a sky segam router and via powerline adapters I have an edimax wireless router - all working now find. Sky Anytime / Sky box is plugged into the segam router via powerline adapters fine. All working great.

Oh, except my old trusty iMac G4 (hard wired into the Sky Segam router) with a direct ethernet patch lead.

iMac was configured with DHCP and was all working fine. Now it says "IP Configuration: xx:xx:xx:xx in use by 80:1f:02:4d:28:10, DHCP Server 192.168.0.1" - That mac address is the Edimax network extender just installed?

I did have to make a change to the sky router configuration to allow bridgerouting (?) and put in a WDSMAC.

I'm going to check a laptop and wire that to the sky segam port just in case it's something not related to the mac - It's got to be the edimax somehow blocking it.

Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: As everyone has been so very helpful... Any ideas here?

Wow. When the edimax is on, it appears to be blocking DHCP resolution from the sky router. Anyway, solution appears to shut down the edimax when it isn't required. I had enough this week of routers etc.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

Try giving your iMac a fixed ip at 240 and limit the DHCP range on the edimax to exclude that ip.

Thanks

Thanks, but the edimax isn't the DHCP server, the sky router is! I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Just for clarity

ADSL -> Sky Router = 1 ethernet port direct for my Mac, 2 ethernet port for homeplugs, on three other home plugs I have Sky Box for anytime+, a media streamer and the edimax wireless (universal extender)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

"IP Configuration: xx:xx:xx:xx in use by 80:1f:02:4d:28:10, DHCP Server 192.168.0.1" - That mac address is the Edimax network extender just installed?
      Something is not right. The address of the Edimax should be within the range of the Sky router but not the same address as the Sky router. Change the Edimax's address manually to 192.168.0.254. and make sure you save the change. Reconnect to the Sky router.

I might have miss read the quoted part, but if the Mac is set to obtain an IP automatically, it should work if you set the Edimax as above with its DHCP disabled. If the Mac has a fixed address, it should still work as long as it is not 1 or 254.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Something is not right. The address of the Edimax should be within the range of the Sky router but not the same address as the Sky router. Change the Edimax's address manually to 192.168.0.254. and make sure you save the change. Reconnect to the Sky router.

I might have miss read the quoted part, but if the Mac is set to obtain an IP automatically, it should work if you set the Edimax as above with its DHCP disabled. If the Mac has a fixed address, it should still work as long as it is not 1 or 254.
      Thanks "isitme".
      Sky Router is 192.168.0.1
      Edimax is 192.168.0.250
      imac is manually set to ANY address at random - but still says it is in use.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks
      It could be the powerline adapters

I have a strange problem with mine that if I put a wireless ap on them then devices can connect to the ap get a dhcp ip but have no traffic.

I suspect some powerline adapters do not form a transparrent bridge and infact are doing something to the packets passing through them.

Mine are solwise pl-1000m if I remember correctly

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      It could be the powerline adapters

I have a strange problem with mine that if I put a wireless ap on them then devices can connect to the ap get a dhcp ip but have no traffic.

I suspect some powerline adapters do not form a transparrent bridge and infact are doing something to the packets passing through them.

Mine are solwise pl-1000m if I remember correctly

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk HD
      Well, that's interesting because I have Solwise ones and Extra value one too. I've got a spare powerline adapter which I'll need to reconfigure into my homeplug network and connect the Mac directly into that. I just end up spending more and more to create a complete network in the house.

In my study, I guess I'm going to end up with a powerline adapter and a switch, into which I can put my NAS drive and MAC.

Might need to look at the powerline adapters with the thru' plugs as I'm running out of sockets.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks
      The solwise ones I have aren't homeplug they're some propitiatory chipset with the ability to fallback to homeplug av

The chipset does some kind of meshing of you have multiple adapters not sure if that's whats causing the issue.

Although I googling I did find a thread on another forum where someone had a similar problem with another vedors adapters

I'll let you know If solwise support reply regarding my issue

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you try disconnecting everything from the Sagem except the iMac, give it a fixed address of 192.168.0.2 and reserve this for it in the routers address reservation list. Leave the iMac connected and reboot the router. Reconnect everything back up as it was before.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.