Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trouble extending WiFi (Sagem f@st 2504n) with Edimax extender (EW-7416APn V2)

This is a discussion on Trouble extending WiFi (Sagem f@st 2504n) with Edimax extender (EW-7416APn V2) within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Evening all, I recently made the switch from BT , and am happy with the service so far. While I ...

UrgetoSplurge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01730
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Trouble extending WiFi (Sagem f@st 2504n) with Edimax extender (EW-7416APn V2)

Evening all,

I recently made the switch from BT, and am happy with the service so far. While I was with BT (using an old Vigor 2600g router), I successfully extended my WiFi range with an Edimax EW-7416APn V2 device (which didn't need to be connected via Ethernet). But I'm really struggling to get the Sagem router working with it, and need some help.

I've read through Scubbie's "Extending your Home Network v1.0" document, which is a great general guide. But I'm keen to get my specific kit working, since I was able to achieve this before.

I've tried a whole host of configuration options, including the following:
      • Same 802.11n (2.4 GHz) channel and different channel for either device
      • Same SSID and different one
      • Same security settings (both WPA and WPA2)
      • Edimax set to Wireless Extender mode
      • DHCP enabled only on the Sagem router
      I want to be able to connect my laptop, iPhone and tablet through either device without any manual intervention, seamlessly roaming about the house (like I used to be able to).

It did briefly start working (for about 5 minutes) but then lost connectivity and I haven't managed to restore it. The router and the extender lose contact with one another and cease communicating. Anything connected to the Internet via the extender naturally loses connectivity at that point.

It's really frustrating not having access to WiFi beyond the dining room into the kitchen, especially when it used to work fine with 802.11g right out into the garden.

Can anyone advise me how to do this successfully?

If the worst comes to the worst I'll consider PowerLine + WiFi plugs, but only once I've exhausted all possible options for the Edimax - it's a perfectly good bit of kit and I don't want to bin it unnecessarily.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Angus

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Trouble extending WiFi (Sagem f@st 2504n) with Edimax extender (EW-7416APn V2)

Could I suggest that you check through the Quick Installation Guide for this WiFi Extender?

http://www.edimax.co.uk/images/Image...APn_v2_QIG.pdf

If you haven't got a hard copy of the guide, try using "Booklet Printing" in Adobe Reader.

...and also the manual?

http://www.edimax.co.uk/images/Image...1.0_Manual.pdf

The default address for this is 192.168.2.1. The Sky router uses 192.168.0.1. I would suggest that using the above guide and manual, you change the Extender so that it works on the same IP Address range as the Sky router. Try 192.168.0.250 and disable the DHCP Server on it.

Reading the guide, the Extender needs to use the LAN Port to connect to the Sky router. Can you confirm that this is how you had it set up previously with you old router?

Once you have it set up, you can then look to play with the SSID & Security settings.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Trouble extending WiFi (Sagem f@st 2504n) with Edimax extender (EW-7416APn V2)

Have you tried setting it up in Universal Repeater Mode?(page 43 in Manual) I think this might be the one you want. As suggested, make sure it is in the same range as the Sky router. 192.168.0.254 should do. Also disabling its DHCP server should make things less complicated.

Can you have a look in the Backup Settings of the Sagem and see if there is a reference to 'bridge restrict' and WDS. There is in the old Sagem. Changing these settings could help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

UrgetoSplurge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01730
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hi both,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Here's where I've got to. Responding to Isitme first:

• Universal Repeater mode: you are correct; that's what it called - I gave it the wrong name when I recorded my configuration. Apologies for creating confusion.
      • Bridge Restrict: I've searched every configuration option on the Sagem 2504, and neither WDS or Bridge Restrict appears, so I daresay they've dropped this item.

And now for Scubbie's answers. I very much appreciate your suggestions - here's what I've done:

• Set the IP address for the Edimax to the same range as the Sagem (now both on 192.168.1.0/24)

• Kept the Edimax's Ethernet port connected to my NAS box (it only needs to be connected to the router if it's operating in AP Bridge mode, which would appear to be the default from the Quick Install Guide that you read and recommended to me). When it worked previously with my old router, it was in the same way, i.e. the Edimax was functioning as both an Access Point (for devices near it) and a Station (to connect to the router's Access Point) at the same time.

In doing this investigation, I've discovered 2 things:

• When I change the Edimax's configuration, it manages to connect to the Sagem router OK - but only for a short time - like 3 pings. I don't think it's the Edimax that has the problem here, since it worked with my old router.

• Both my laptop and my tablet will connect (as WiFi clients) only to the Sagem box, not to the Edimax. This might have something to do with the fact that the Sagem is set as the Root Access Point and the Edimax is next down in the pecking order. (Note that I've set the Edimax's SSID to be the same as the Sagem's (as I did previously with my old router. This makes sense, otherwise I suspect that as devices roam between WLANs with different SSIDs, they would continually be asking for a new IP address, which would interrupt traffic.) However, I'd have though that WiFi clients should connect to the Access Point with the strongest signal, not the one most senior in the hierarchy. I wonder whether the Sagem box is doing something naughty here?

Any further assistance you can provide would be most gratefully accepted!

Thanks again.

GRTCW24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01483
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I have the same problem.

I have a segam (sky) ap working fine. I have a edimax wireless extender, so far I've only been able to get it work if I hardware an ethernet connection between the edimax and the segam and THEN only if I hardware a laptop to the edimax.

In terms of wireless configuration - I've got the edimax configured with a different SSID for testing but still can't connect to it.

Now, the bizarre thing is that for 1 day I had the whole lot working, when I mean working I mean

BB Point -> Segam -> Powerline -> Mains -> Powerline -> Edimax -> Wireless to mobile phone!

It can't be that difficult? I mean I'm CISCO certified and still can't get to the bottom of it.

Edimax doesn't appear to want to accept wireless connections! Is there anything I can do to look at log files to see what is failing?

Edimax to Segam - authentication for wireless, as a universal extender doesn't seem to work?

I have followed all the docs and manuals

Segam is set to channel 6. Apart from that, I'll I've done is reduce the DHCP end range to allow for the Edimax router which is now 192.168.0.240

Edimax is Universal Extender. Different SSID and different channel but "linked" to the Segam (how do I tell which model?)

Any further direction would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

• Bridge Restrict: I've searched every configuration option on the Sagem 2504, and neither WDS or Bridge Restrict appears, so I daresay they've dropped this item.
      Sorry, I should have made it clearer. You have to use the Backup Settings function in the router, save the .cfg file to your Desktop, then open it with something like Wordpad. Look there.

Edimax doesn't appear to want to accept wireless connections! Is there anything I can do to look at log files to see what is failing?
      Do you have the wireless access point enabled on it? Can you see it from your laptop when you select Search for Networks? If you can't it is possible the wireless has failed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

In the sky backup conf file - "bridgerestrict=disabled". Should that be set to "=enabled" ? Can you modify the text file and the reload it?

I can see the wireless router - it's not just my laptop that won't connect, my android phone won't either - WIFI analyser shows it all operating on the correct channels.

Thanks

In the sky backup conf file - "bridgerestrict=disabled". Should that be set to "=enabled" ? Can you modify the text file and the reload it?
      Yes, that's the idea. On the same line you should see wdsMAC_0=” ” put the MAC address of the Edimax between the apostrophes. Save the edited version back to the router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

OK, thanks. what format is the mac address entered ie. wdsmac_0="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" or wdsmac_0="xxxxxxxx"?

Thanks

Colon separated.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast