Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

Extend Wifi Range

This is a discussion on Extend Wifi Range within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thank you for all that.. I will get back with the info. Many thanks for persevering with this. As far ...

craftyalice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Busby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Extend WiFi Range

Thank you for all that..
      I will get back with the info.
      Many thanks for persevering with this.

As far as the Home Plug goes - hopeless. I don't have two distinct sockets side-by-side at the router or at the internet radio, so they will have to go back. The signal was worse.
      Last edited by craftyalice; 18-07-12 at 07:52 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

HomePlugs (and PowerLine Adapters) come in a variety of different flavours.

Firstly you shouldn't use any of them on an extension that has surge protection. This is known to interfere with the signal and reduce their ability.

If you are short of sockets, consider using a pair with Pass-through sockets. For example like what I have linked below. I appreciate that these are a little more money, but they are worth while:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-P...2463077&sr=8-1

For information, you can add an additional HomePlug or PowerLine adapter (up to a total of 4 in all can be connected in one group), so long as they are all of a similar standard. By this I mean that the old slower (15mb) versions aren't compatible with the 100 or 200mb versions and HomePlugs are not compatible with PowerLine adapters. I mention this in case when connected to the Master Socket, you need another method to connect to your router for something else.
      craftyalice likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I bought devolo 200AVmini starter kit - 2 x HomePlug. I meant that the diagrams show that the router has to be plugged into a distinctly different socket from the HomePlug ie 2 sockets side by side not a double socket, similarly with the radio and HomePlug. I just don't have that facility. Pass through sockets don't solve that problem. I was plugged into a surge protection too, so no wonder it didn't work.
      Will I just return the HomePlug set?
      Last edited by craftyalice; 16-07-12 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks

Questions.
      The main socket is in a different room from the desktop PC.
      How do I maintain an internet connection? Will wifi work without one ethernet cable attached?
      Why would attached to main socket improve the situation?
      Would I have to leave laptop on all night while conducting test process?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Extend Wifi Range

I meant that the diagrams show that the router has to be plugged into a distinctly different socket from the HomePlug ie 2 sockets side by side not a double socket
      I think that may just be artistic licence, many users plug the router and the homeplug into the same dual socket. It is important that you do not run the homeplug through a surge protector, although the router should be.

Will wifi work without one ethernet cable attached?
      Yes you don't need an ethernet connection for wireless once the wireless point is set up. Connecting to the main socket, preferably the Test socket could rule out internal wiring problems. You would need to leave a machine on to get a full reading from Router stats as it mut be connected to the internet to get a reading.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

craftyalice (16-07-12)

Thanks

The Quiet Line Test had no noise.

Router test had all corded extensions dead; the cordless phone still worked when plugged into the microfilter.

Stats are:
      System Up Time: 00:13:32
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 11292 18190 0 1558 28650 00:12:10
      LAN 100M/Full 22419 14563 0 27974 2657 00:13:27
      WLAN 11M/54M 3288 4080 0 1008 1520 00:13:15
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15356 kbps 944 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 14 db
      I have set the software running.

Still to try the homeplugs again, out of the surge protectors!
      Now trying to get wifi internet on my desktop, having moved router to another room. Says no wireless enabled, Have started services. Still no idea how to get wireless card running, never used it since bought in December. AAAARRGGGH
      Last edited by craftyalice; 17-07-12 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks

Whilst it may appear that there is little difference between those figures, by using the Master Socket you have a healthy improvement on the Noise Margins.

Put in to simple terms, allow for the router to prove to be fine first and you could then call Sky to get your connection speed improved. Purely guessing here, but you may be able to get between 17-18mb download on your connection and perhaps above 1mb (1000kbps) on the upstream.

What we do need to be careful of is to misinterpret the work of DLM. It may increase your connection speed automatically so we will need to see the full figures in a few days to confirm that the connection is more stable by using the master socket.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      call Sky to get your connection speed improved. Purely guessing here, but you may be able to get between 17-18mb download on your connection and perhaps above 1mb (1000kbps) on the upstream
      So what exactly do I quote to Sky to convince them? What do they have to do to improve my connection speed?

Will I have to keep the router where it is in the other room from the desktop pc or can it be moved back?
      If I cannot move it back that means getting a wifi card.

What about the filter plate you were talking about?

By the way, I have now found I omitted to order a wifi adapter for my desktop pc!! I have had to temporarily use the HomePlug to get the internet on it. LOL

The repositioning of the router hasn't appreciably improved the wifi signal to the "difficult" room. I'll have to try the plug again.

Thanks for the input so far. Log attached.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Provided that this definately does improve the Internet connection, then I would definitely be inclined to leave the router connected to the Master Socket.

I appreciate that this is not the ideal position, hence why you were using the extension socket in the first place.

What I am thinking is that if the connection is more stable, then you should consider fitting a filtered faceplate in the Master Socket. There are two type of these at the moment. The standard type requires you to wire the existing extensions to the back of them. The other type is the new vDSL filtered faceplate, which is a little more money, but you incorporate the existing split faceplate on top of it.

The vDSL faceplate is what is being supplied when people have FTTC (i.e. Sky Fibre) installed. It works fine with an ADSL connection and can be a little better.

A filtered faceplate would isolate your internal telephone wiring which can be known to interfere with the signal.

Once this is done, a simple call to Sky to ask them to increase your connection speed "because you have made significant improvements to your router's connection" can be made. In practise you may need to make more than one call and someone may want to put you on DLM, rather than manually set it. This would mean a few days before you would know if the line speed has been improved for sure.

Looking at your stats, there is a small change in the noise margin. This is normal for the time of day. Provided that this continues, then the problem has been identified and the use of the Master socket has resolved it. If there is any spikes, then obviously a bit more research would be required.

As for whether to use a WiFi adaptor of a HomePlug for your PC, the choice will be yours. If you have a smart phone, install "Wifi Analyzer" to see how strong the signal is where the PC is located. If it is strong, then consider an adaptor which can work at up to 300mb/s. Although your router doesn't work at this speed, a 300mb/s adaptor would be good for the future.

Whether you get an Internal WiFi adaptor with external aerials or a USB adaptor could partially depend on how confident you are with opening up the PC and whether the signal would be good behind the PC. USB WiFi adaptors have the benefit that they can be used on new computers and are more able to be located in a position where the signal is stronger if you have a short USB extension lead.
      craftyalice likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The other type is the new vDSL filtered faceplate, which is a little more money, but you incorporate the existing split faceplate on top of it.
      Just to expand, this means you do not have to disconnect and reconnect any wiring which is probably best for the average person who is not too confident about pulling wires out. The filter plate slips in behind the existing faceplate, requiring only 2 screws to be undone then replaced by slightly longer ones which are supplied with the plate. With its higher quality and ease of use it is worth the extra couple of pounds.
      BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate
      Scubbie and Steele11 like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast