Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router

This is a discussion on Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have a Sagem 2504 & an Asus RT-N56U. I'd like to use the Sagem solely as a modem, ...

jandb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router

Hi,

I have a Sagem 2504 & an Asus RT-N56U. I'd like to use the Sagem solely as a modem, and use the Asus for everything else (firewall/router/DHCP server/WiFi/etc.)

I had assumed I would connect the WAN port on the modem to the WAN port on the router, but the Sagem doesn't seem to have a separate WAN port. Does this mean I need to setup the Asus as a DMZ server?

If so, I guess I need to give the Asus a static LAN IP address (say, 192.168.0.254) and then put that address into the 'Default DMZ Server' page on the Sagem?

Does this sound right? What am I missing/misunderstanding?

Thanks!
      J

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router

That is correct.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

GarethWilliams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello, first post here and a google search led me here. Can you do the same with the D-link DSL-2640s?

Thanks

Yes, it can be done with any Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JCM3000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STWARHM
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sorry to bump but on a similar theme: I have the Sagem F@ST2304 and an Asus RT-N66U and want to use the Asus as the router for my entire network (not just for wireless) and the Sagem as just the modem. The crucial part is that I want to use the Asus as the DHCP server as it has gigabit capability. I've spent hours in the comms room (cupboard under the stairs in layman's terms ) and just can't get them to work together. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

You could try this - Give the Asus a fixed address of 192.168.0.254 and place this in the DMZ of the Sagem. While you are in the Sagem settings disable its DHCP server and disable the Wireless access point. Leave the Asus DHCP as it is with the default range of 192.168.1.2-254 Connect the Asus WAN port to one of the Sagems ethernet ports. You should now have new network based on the Asus.

You will get an idea of what is required by having a look at the PDF here- Using the DLink DIR613.

TomD

Useful Utilites

JCM3000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STWARHM
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could try this - Give the Asus a fixed address of 192.168.0.254 and place this in the DMZ of the Sagem. While you are in the Sagem settings disable its DHCP server and disable the Wireless access point. Leave the Asus DHCP as it is with the default range of 192.168.1.2-254 Connect the Asus WAN port to one of the Sagems ethernet ports. You should now have new network based on the Asus.

You will get an idea of what is required by having a look at the PDF here- Using the DLink DIR613.
      Many, many thanks, Isitme - you have saved my sanity (what's left of it)!

Here is what I did, following your instructions, in case anyone finds this thread and wants to do the same:

1. Obtain the (Sky) Sagem's external MAC address following these instructions

2. Connect an ethernet cable from the laptop to (a yellow port on) the Sagem router then browse to 192.168.0.1

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_sagem_01.jpg

3. Give the Asus a fixed address of 192.168.0.254 (fig. above)

4. Disable the Sagem DHCP server (fig. above)

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_sagem_02.jpg

5. Place the Asus in the DMZ (fig. above)

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_sagem_03.jpg

6. Disable the Sagem wireless access point (fig. above)

7. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Sagem and connect it to a yellow port on the Asus (RT-N66U) router then browse to 192.168.1.1

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_asus_01.jpg

8. Set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 with sub net 255.255.255.0 (I think this is default) (fig. above)

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_asus_02.jpg

9. Set the DHCP pool (default values should be okay) (fig. above)

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-router_asus_03.jpg

10. Set the WAN values: Static IP; IP address to 192.168.0.254; Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1; DNS servers to those of your choice (I used the Sky ones but will change to OpenDNS); Authentication to 'None'; MAC address to the one obtained in step 1 (fig. above)

I'm not sure if steps 1 and 10 are necessary. Hopefully this might serve to save someone else from smashing up their shiny new wireless router!
      wrevilo likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JCM3000 For This Useful Post:

wrevilo (31-08-12)

wrevilo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vauxhall (WRVAUX)
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks for the above. I've just moved into a shared flat that has a Sky connection from one that had BE. Such a shame Sky just can't provide an easy to apply bridge mode for their router.

The Sagem 2504 is an old piece of equipment, and I'll be looking to integrate my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH that runs the latest DD-WRT build to give the flat a much better performing wireless network.

OK I've finally gotten everything set up and connected at 300mbps thanks to the instructions above. Cheers JCM3000!
      Last edited by wrevilo; 30-08-12 at 11:02 PM.

wrevilo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vauxhall (WRVAUX)
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Final question for me I think. Is there any way to access the Sagem's stats page whilst it is set up like above?

Plugging my laptop in via LAN cable doesn't give me access any more for some reason.

The reason I ask is that I have added an ADSL Nation faceplate to the socket, so the Sagem is now using that filter through the test socket. I want to squeeze every last drop of speed out of the connection, which I believe is reasonable.

Thanks

As the DHCP server is disabled on the Sagem you will have to give your laptop a fixed IP address, 192.168.0.10 would do, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.0.1. If you now plug the laptop into the Sagem and enter 192.168.0.1 into a browser you should be able to access the settings. Just make sure the wireless is switched off, or you may still be connecting with the Asus.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast