Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router

This is a discussion on Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Nice one! I will try that and report back......

wrevilo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vauxhall (WRVAUX)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router

Nice one! I will try that and report back...

2. Advertisement
      wrevilo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vauxhall (WRVAUX)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Alrighty, here are my stats. I'm going to ask Sky to optimise as much as possible to see if we're able to squeeze any more out of the line.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 21023 kbps 1033 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 7.4 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 8.0 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Good luck,, but you are already above the speed Sky advertise so you have little chance of an increase. Running DLM again may up your speed, so you should ask for them to do that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

No one within Sky will have the means to get you connection improved manually as the Noise Margin is already below what they can set (7dB).

As Tom has suggested, DLM may improve things a little more, but personally I do not think you will get much more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dnewman6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JCM3000 View Post
      Many, many thanks, Isitme - you have saved my sanity (what's left of it)!

Here is what I did, following your instructions, in case anyone finds this thread and wants to do the same:

1. Obtain the (Sky) Sagem's external MAC address following these instructions

2. Connect an ethernet cable from the laptop to (a yellow port on) the Sagem router then browse to 192.168.0.1

Attachment 3539

3. Give the Asus a fixed address of 192.168.0.254 (fig. above)

4. Disable the Sagem DHCP server (fig. above)

Attachment 3540

5. Place the Asus in the DMZ (fig. above)

Attachment 3541

6. Disable the Sagem wireless access point (fig. above)

7. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Sagem and connect it to a yellow port on the Asus (RT-N66U) router then browse to 192.168.1.1

Attachment 3542

8. Set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1 with sub net 255.255.255.0 (I think this is default) (fig. above)

Attachment 3543

9. Set the DHCP pool (default values should be okay) (fig. above)

Attachment 3544

10. Set the WAN values: Static IP; IP address to 192.168.0.254; Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1; DNS servers to those of your choice (I used the Sky ones but will change to OpenDNS); Authentication to 'None'; MAC address to the one obtained in step 1 (fig. above)

I'm not sure if steps 1 and 10 are necessary. Hopefully this might serve to save someone else from smashing up their shiny new wireless router!
      Hi guys, I have just bought the Asus n66u and tried to set it up following this guide but i just cant seen to get it right. I have spent hours now. any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to be left with 130 paper weight.

Thanks in advance

Overdose87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys.
      I'm getting mad :s. I'm trying to put my sagem 2504n working as a modem and my TP-link TL-WR1043ND as the router for entire network. I have followed JMC3000 guide but the only thing i achieved was turning my internet off :s.
      I have spent already 6 hours reading tutorials and trying this to work.
      Can someone please help me?

Thanks

If you have followed the instructions here - Using the DLink DIR613. and refined them using JCM3000's instructions for the Asus, there is not much anyone can add. Just a couple of things to note-

a) In the DIR instructions the DHCP server is left running on the Sagem. This allows you to run 2 separate networks. If you don't want this, untick 'Use router as DHCP server'

b) I am not sure if it was mentioned in the refined instructions, but after you have set up the Asus using an ethernet port you should then connect it to the Sagem using the WAN port. If you don't it will not work as a router, only a switch.

I'm afraid I have no idea why you are loosing the internet. You should not be making any changes to the Sagem which would cause this. I would advise you to reset both routers and start again, making sure you follow all the instructions exactly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme thanks for the reply .
      So in the sagem i have disable the Wireless Access Point, i have put the default dmz server to 192.168.0.254 and activate.
      In the lan setup i have deactivated the DHCP server and add the address reservation. I have put the pics in here so you can see if it is alright. Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-sagem.jpg

Now in the Tp-link:
      In the Wlan i have change the sittings as in the guide i have also put a pic so you can see if i'm missing something.Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-tp-link.jpg

The Tp-link is connected from the wlan to a lan port of the sagem. I connected my pc from a lan port of the TP-link.

The thing is if i don't put a static ip adress on my computer i can't have internet neither accessing the sagem or tp-link configuration.

To access the tp-link i put the ip address on my computer as 192.168.100 and default gateway 192.168.1.1 and i get access to the router page but no internet.

If i connect to the sagem directly form the pc with a ethernet cable and i put static ip on my pc 192.168.0.2 and default gateway 192.168.0.1 them i get access to the sagem router and internet.

Realy i don't know what im doing wrong it's driving me mad :s.

Please help me

Thanks

The thing is if i don't put a static ip adress on my computer i can't have internet neither accessing the sagem or tp-link configuration.
      It looks like the DHCP server on the TP Link is disabled. It should be enabled with a range of 192.168.1.2-254. You can access this in the Network>Lan page of the settings.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still nothing i have put the image so you can see the DHCP settings, if i'm missing anything.
      I get the access to the tp-link but it seems its not connecting with the sagem.Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-dhcp.jpg

In the sittings of the sagem it says that the DHCP it's still on, what the hell? but it it disable in the sittings...
      image here:Using Sagem 2504 as modem & Asus RT-N56U as router-sagem-stgs.jpg
      Last edited by Overdose87; 07-12-12 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast