Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bridging routers

This is a discussion on Bridging routers within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Before rushing out to buy any other equipment I thought I'd find out if an alternative is possible. I'll keep ...

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bridging routers

Before rushing out to buy any other equipment I thought I'd find out if an alternative is possible. I'll keep this as short as possible.

Due to an authentication in my exchange, my Sky router doesn't connect to network. Sky know about it and have sent replacements but they don't work. Sky have agreed to let me use my own router (I have it writing from them).

I'd like to use Sky Anytime+ but my router is in the hallway and the Sky HD+ box is in the living room. I'd like to avoid trailing an ethernet wire through the house if possible. Before I resort to buying Homeplugs or the Netgear WiFI Adapter (and I certainly won't buy the Sky Wireless Connector at that price!) I'd like to know the following:

Is is possible to use my Sky router (a D-Link DSL2640S) as a bridge between my Netgear router (N300 DGN220) and the Sky HD+ STB? I'm not averse to flashing the router with firmware or changing the settings on the router. I'd like to know if it's possible.

Thanks all.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Bridging routers

If you mean connect the Dlink by wireless, then no it is not possible, there is no firmware for the Dlink which would allow this. It can of course be connected using ethernet cable. There are cheaper alternatives to Sky's bridge, the Vonet is one of the cheapest - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11.../dp/B0050AI804

Ultimately you would be better with homeplugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bridging routers

Thank you! That's all I needed to know - saves a lot of time (and frustration) trying to get it to work. You're right - the intention was to connect the Sky HD+ STB to the Sky router and allow this to connect to the Netgear wirelessly. Now I know it can't be done.