Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

300mbps Wireless Adaptor needed?

This is a discussion on 300mbps Wireless Adaptor needed? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, just signed up for Sky Broadband Unlimited as my old ISP was getting slower and slower. Have just ...

bruceh500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAWYM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

300mbps Wireless Adaptor needed?

Hi everyone, just signed up for Sky Broadband Unlimited as my old ISP was getting slower and slower.
      Have just set up the Sagem F@ST 2504N router and connected wirelessly to my desktop pc which is located upstairs.
      My previous router was only "g" rated (max 54mbs) and the wireless network usb adaptor i have is a TP-Link TL-WN722NC 150mbps.
      I know the Sky router is wireless "n" ( max 300mbps?), but my wireless adaptor is only showing 65mbps.
      I have read about channel bonding for increasing transfer speeds, but not sure where or if i can change settings anywhere.
      Will i get only half the maximum transfer for my wireless adaptor with my current set up, as my sisters similar Sky set up shows 130mbps on her new laptop.
      Basically, will i get 130mbps if i change to a 300mbps adaptor?
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: 300mbps Wireless Adaptor needed?

i think max for the 2504n is around 150mbps or 144mbps to be precise but i might be wrong

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The Sagem 2504N works at a peak rate of 144mbps on a single channel. A 150mb adaptor should work at 150mbps on a paired channel and 72mbps on a single channel.

If the Sagem is set to 'Auto' or '54g Performance' it should be working at it's peak speed, but you can check this with inSSIDer.

There are a range of USB WiFi Dongles available now which run at 300mbps. Consider looking for one that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz if you funds extend to that ability.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bruceh500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAWYM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies, have checked the router settings and it's set to Auto, so the issue is probably with the TP-Link wireless adaptor.
      Will investigate further to see if i can get the transfer speed higher with my current set up.