Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!!

This is a discussion on Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Right this is the situation. I have been using my PC for quite a while now and have decided to ...

chris301up is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!!

Right this is the situation. I have been using my PC for quite a while now and have decided to give it to my son. I took it to his house on Sunday and we just could not get it to connect to the internet.

Thinking it may have been a driver issue it brought it back home and spent many hours reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP and all relevant programmes. After resetting everything it connected to my Sky broadband at home without any problems whatsoever.

I returned back to his house only to find it still would not work, even if I connected my own Sky router. At the moment it is connected direct, which of course is not ideal.

My router is Sagem and his is SagemCom. There are no other identification numbers anywhere on the routers so cannot give any further details.

Can anyone help?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!!

At the moment it is connected direct, which of course is not ideal.
      Do you mean it is connecting by ethernet but will not connect with wireless?

The only difference in the routers will be the network key. I assume you are using the correct one, but as you can't connect to your router in his house, that would not matter. How far are you from the router when it fails to connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can get it to work using an ethernet cable, but not wireless.

The PC is in the next room no more than 2 - 3 metres away.

The PC detects the wireless network but just will not connect. I have used the correct keys for both routers and even changed to an unsecured connection - but no joy!

We have a laptop in the same position and that connects without any problem!
      Last edited by chris301up; 10-02-12 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks

Is the wireless card PCI one or USB? If it is USB see if you can get hold of another USB adapter and try that. I suppose the same goes for PCI as long as you uninstall the card first.

The fact that it connects to your router in your own house and will not connect to the same router in his is puzzling. You have tried changing the routers broadcast channel?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

EDDIE864 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01844
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just an idea... My phone would connect but not accept the wireless signal until I discovered that on wireless the wireless key is case sensitive which it isn't on a wired connection. Could that be it?

Just seen that it won't connect unsecured.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have tried the keys in lower case and upper case. Have also regenerated other keys and that doesn't rectify the problem

The wireless card is PCI and my initial thought was that it could have been faulty? I replaced this with another working card of the same make/model - and tried many different channels - but with the same result.

Really puzzling! I have tried all that I know?

Thanks

Final thought, you have fully updated XP to Sp3? I would think you have if you are able to connect in your own home.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes. My XP disc has SP3 incorporated.

The laptop has exactly the same operating system installed and that connects fine!

One other point is that I am unable to access the settings page by typing 192.168.0.1 into the browser, obviously because I am unable to access the internet.

Thanks

One other point is that I am unable to access the settings page by typing 192.168.0.1 into the browser, obviously because I am unable to access the internet.
      You should be able to enter the router settings without being on the internet. Is this on your own router? Try resetting the router by pushing a pin in the reset hole on the rear. Hold it for about 10 secs or until the lights flash. type Type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and see if you can connect.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

This works on my router at home but simply will not work on my Sons router - the one we cannot connect wirelessly.

I am going to take my router to my Sons house and try again - maybe there is an underlying fault with his router - we will just have to keep trying!!!
      Last edited by chris301up; 10-02-12 at 12:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast