Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!!

This is a discussion on Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Next time you are over, get him to open a Command Prompt on a PC and type IPCONFIG /ALL hit ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Cannot connect PC to wireless - Help Please !!!!

Next time you are over, get him to open a Command Prompt on a PC and type IPCONFIG /ALL hit enter. Under the LAN ethernet adapter, among other things it will show the address given to the PC, the Subnet Mask, the Gateway and the DHCP server. The last 2 should be the router IP address - 192.168.0.1.

Now go to the wireless PC and using an ethernet cable give it the following manual settings-
      IP Address........192.168.0.100
      Subnet..............255.255.255.0
      Gateway............192.168.0.1
      If the address shown in the CP is different, change the first 3 octets to match it. Make sure you adjust the Wireless adapter and not the ethernet one.

Disconnect the ethernet, make sure the wireless is switched on, and try to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      chris301up is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Right - Here is an update.

I have again taken my Sky router to my Sons house and connected it to his PC running Windows XP with SP3.

After juggling around with the settings I finally got them to communicate and recognise each other, but that's as far as I could get. Although there is an icon in the bottom left corner, and it reports that there is a connection, with an excellent signal, it just won't connect to the internet.

After many unhappy hours trying to resolve this issue I now feel like giving up, and have now reconnected my sons router via an ethernet cable.

Wireless is not all that it's cracked up to be!!!!

chris301up is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just an update.

I have taken my Sky router to my Sons house, and after juggling around with the settings, managed to get the PC to recognise my router, with an excellent signal, but still won't connect to the internet.

We have had to reconnect his router via ethernat cable for the time being until we can find a solution to this puzzling problem!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Next time try connecting in Safe Mode with Networking, this should reveal whether it is a software problem or not.

You might also like to run TCP Repair on his PC, this can often sort out connection problems.
      Download XP TCP/IP Repair 2.1 Free - A tool which may help fix your internet connection and possibly even protect your privacy - Softpedia

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12