Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Two routers.. IP problems.

This is a discussion on Two routers.. IP problems. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I went ahead and bought the Buffalo router I was banging on about in another thread and spent ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Two routers.. IP problems.

Hi all,

I went ahead and bought the Buffalo router I was banging on about in another thread and spent far too long last night trying to get everything working.

Firstly, I tried using the PDF on how to connect two routers but it was failing after I changed the IP address on the second router (And when doing an IPCONFIG on it, the IP address part for the 2nd router was blank), after a lot of frustration and resetting of the second router I decided just to go with the installation disc supplied with the Buffalo (Which needs connecting to another router anyway as it's only got ethernet connections on the back).

This worked fine, and I managed to set up a VPN on the second router so if I connect wirelessly through that to the laptop it thinks I'm in the US, brilliant, just what I wanted.

But, while my iPhone, iPad and Xbox 360 ALL see the new wireless connection, none will let me connect to the internet, I get as far as connecting to the router. The 360 is telling me that's due to IP problems, and the Apple TV gives me the option to manually change the IP.

I'm at work at the moment but if any of you guys have got any suggestions how I can solve this little conundrum I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, and if you've got any questions, please feel free to ask!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Two routers.. IP problems.

Easiest thing is to buy a new ADSL router and just use the one device as opposed to the Sky router and a cable router - but that doesn't help you right now
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The plot thickens.. I've just had a chat with the VPN support and they're telling me to make sure the ethernet connection between the two machines is the right way round, and the moment I've got it coming out of the blue connection of the Sky router and into one of the 4 ethernet ports (Not the blue one) on the Buffalo router, tech support seem to think that's the wrong way round?

This is what I was told..

plug the WAN port on the buffalo into a LAN port on the existing router. Surely that's the wrong way round isn't it?!

Would that be responsible do you think? I mean, as I said, I'm getting a wireless connection and online via the laptop and the Buffalo (2nd) router?

Anyone?

Confusion doubled!
      Last edited by Lino; 18-01-12 at 01:27 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The Sky router should just use any of the Ethernet ports (I'd use a yellow one personally) and then you'd connect it to the input port on the 2nd router (WAN) as that's where it's 'Internet' connection is coming from
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That is very interesting. Now I want to go home and try that! I assumed that because the Sky router (Or 1st router if you will) is the one that is connected to the phone line I'd have to take the connection the way I have it currently. I'll certainly try it the other way round as soon as I get home and will report back. Thanks for the tip!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Me again!?

You don't suppose I'd need a crossover cable to connect the two routers together do you? I'm just using the ethernet cable supplied with the Buffalo router.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
      You don't suppose I'd need a crossover cable to connect the two routers together do you? I'm just using the ethernet cable supplied with the Buffalo router.
      Cross-Over Ethernet cables were really needed with the 10Mb LAN ports. They aren't needed with 100Mb or higher.

Any length of Ethernet cable (up to 100m) or a pair of HomePlugs would be absolutely fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Cross-Over Ethernet cables were really needed with the 10Mb LAN ports. They aren't needed with 100Mb or higher.

Any length of Ethernet cable (up to 100m) or a pair of HomePlugs would be absolutely fine.
      Curses, there goes that theory. I'm hoping swapping the ports they're connected to over might do the trick. Hopefully!

Thanks for the advice though, keep it coming!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well curses. The Ethernet cable is in correctly. Still not connecting to the net wirelessly with anything other than the laptop. I hate ip Problems.