Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wifi on laptop is not connecting - zero IP address

This is a discussion on Wifi on laptop is not connecting - zero IP address within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, For starters, I'd like to apologize if there is a similar answered question in the forum. I do not ...

norfolk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wifi on laptop is not connecting - zero IP address

Hi,

For starters, I'd like to apologize if there is a similar answered question in the forum. I do not have the time to check sine I have to leave the computer soon.

A couple days ago my laptop stopped connecting to Sky Brodband. I used wifi for 8 months now and all was great until now. I get a zero IP address and the connection keeps looking to establish address, then eventually stops at restricted.

I use WinXP SP2. Encryption is WAP. I have tried setting the IP, DNS, Gateway manually and received a connect, but no internet in browser. My flatmate has a desktop connected to the same router via wifi, no problems there.

I have no idea what's going on, since the problem came out of the blue one morning when I started the laptop as usual. I've retyped network key several times, including wrongly, and I never get an error, it just hangs trying to establish an address.

I do not know the specifics of the network because I am not its admin. I'm in a shared flat, the owner who set up the network lives away. He's not a techie person and takes awfully long times to follow up calls. I don't have any technical documentation, and I am only guessing the router is a netgear v1 - can't find any model numbers on the router itself.

I'm considering reset function and seeing if it gts me anywhere, but I'm worried that it will mess up my flatmate's connection. I formatted my system thinking it might be software issue on my part, but it didn't help.

Any advice? I'm pretty desperate. I'm running online business and need to communicate with lots of people over internet.

I will of course try to get hold of my landlord and get him to contact customer support.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Wifi on laptop is not connecting - zero IP address

Despite this router having been stable for some time, Sky has recently started pumping out a firmware update. This update allows the router to connect to their servers using the MER connection. It also allows the router to support WPA2 for the first time.

Firstly I would delete the WiFi connection from you r computer's list, then attempt to reconnect to the router. You will need to re-enter the WiFi key.

As for your O/S, I would highly recommend that you consider updating it to SP3. There are many other security updates which should have been applied as well, so you'll be downloading quite a few to update your computer.

If the WiFi connection still doesn't work, then check through all the updates, including those for your WiFi adaptor. WEP is insecure and should no longer be used.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for reply Scrubbie,

Thanks for the note on firmware update. How do I get that? I suppose I will need to get the network details from my landlord to go through it properly?

I have done a full system format, so the connection has been deleted and reestablished already, didn't help. Web encryption is WPA, not WEP.

Before the format I had SP3, it's just my system CD that has SP2. So the problem started while I had SP3 installed. Still, I'll look for an upgrade. Thanks for pointing that one out, I'd do it anyway, but now it's getting on my priority to do list.

I just bought an ethernet cable and will be trying a local connection this evening. If that works, I'll know it's a wifi issue and start looking for upgrades for the card.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you actually have a V1 router, it is the only Sky router that is white, so it is easy to identify. If you do check that the wireless network key has not changed. Also check if the the wireless access list is enabled and whether your PC is included if it is.

I would also advise going to the wireless adapter manufacturer's site and downloading the latest driver. Uninstall the existing driver and reinstall using the new driver. Do this whether Windows says you have the latest or not.

Your flatmate aside, I would recommend doing a router reset, especially if the routers firmware has been up dated. Before doing a reset, backup your router settings, so they are easy to re-apply..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, I have the V1 router.

Thanks for our responses, it was actually hardware issue. The wifi card in my laptop gave out and simple LAN connection solved the issue. Even so, I learned a bit from the replies here. Thanks again.