Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Windows 7 & Network Adapter Reset Problem

This is a discussion on Windows 7 & Network Adapter Reset Problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Can you help me, I have windows 7 and the following router - Netgear V2 DG934G every now and ...

Bally555 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Windows 7 & Network Adapter Reset Problem

Can you help me, I have windows 7 and the following router - Netgear V2 DG934G

every now and then an exclamation mark goes over the internet wireless icon in the bottom right tray and i have to diagnose the problem and reset my network adapter.

the internet is connected but not if you know what i mean? just needs resetting and it can get really frustrating.

I have tried googling the problem and apparently there is an issue with windows 7 and sleep mode on ones laptop with sky?

Can anyone shed any light so this doesnt happen regardless of being in sleep mode or not

can anyone help?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Windows 7 & Network Adaptor Reset Problem

Try setting the DNS server manually on your Laptop.

I was getting this regularly until someone suggested setting the IP address & DNS servers, but I just set the DNS servers manually to get around the issue and I've been fine since.

Setting the IP address would not be practical in my case as I could easily take my Laptop to another location and the WiFi would then not connect.

So how do you set the DNS servers and which DNS servers to use?

See this page on setting the IP address & DNS Server address, remember that you do not need to fix the IP address, on the DNS Server addresses:
      Change TCP/IP settings

As for which DNS Servers to use, you have a wide choice. If your Laptop is only every going to be used on a Sky Broadband connection, then you could use Sky's Servers:

The alternative and possibly better is to use a public DNS server:

DNS Advantage

Google Public DNS

There are other public DNS Servers available, these are the most popular ones though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms