Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky only allowing one wireless connection.

This is a discussion on Sky only allowing one wireless connection. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am presently running two laptops, two desktop with wireless cards. The network I am basing this off is the ...

grift is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Sky only allowing one wireless connection.

I am presently running two laptops, two desktop with wireless cards.

The network I am basing this off is the sky box with a linksys wireless router connected via ethernet, this setup is used for increased speeds, (more than 3 meters away the sky box slows to sub 2Mb speeds from 15+).

Everything was connecting to the linksys router fine until last Wednesday when it mysteriously reset everything, including its SSID, password and all other configurations, I am the only person who goes near it, so it was not interfered with.

Now, I have a problem, where when I connect a laptop through ethernet to the skybox, it is providing connection to the internet, and I can connect one laptop to it wirelessly, when I attempt to connect theother laptop and the desktops it shows with this error:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3881/unledpjy.png

This occurs when I connect any of the pcs first, they can always connect, and have the same low speed as always from the skybox, yet the rest cannot, this would normally be circumvented by the use of the linksys router, however, when I wire connect this to the sky box, it is impossible to connect to the internet through it via ethernet or wireless, on any single machine.

Would really appreciate any assistance or suggestions you can provide me, as the noise in my ears is becoming louder and more irritating with every moment.

Grift

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky only allowing one wireless connection.

Everything was connecting to the linksys router fine until last Wednesday when it mysteriously reset everything, including its SSID, password and all other configurations
      I take it you have set it up again the same as before? Did you remember to change the IP address to one compatible with the Sky routers range, ie, 192.168.0.xxx?

It is unusual you are unable to connect more than one device to the router, many connect multiple devices with no problems. Have you tried changing the Channel the router is using? It is possible a new nearby network is interfering with yours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I take it you have set it up again the same as before? Did you remember to change the IP address to one compatible with the Sky routers range, ie, 192.168.0.xxx?

It is unusual you are unable to connect more than one device to the router, many connect multiple devices with no problems. Have you tried changing the Channel the router is using? It is possible a new nearby network is interfering with yours.
      The ip ranges for all tech on the network has been 192.168.0.xxx since I installed the system, I have set it up in the same fashion as I did before, yes.

I know, thats why I made a new thread, I couldn't find any help, and when I phoned up the sky support team and got through to a team manager who said that I could only connect one network device locally with the router I had, I hung up soon after that.

Yeah, I have changed the channel that i operate on several times, but with no discernable result. There havent been any new networks installed in the area recently, at least ones which are showing their SSID's.

Thanks for the advice.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Try settings up an ip address manually on your computers via ipv4 properties.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

That error message looks similar to what I get sometimes when I switch the WiFi back on with Windows 7.

If I reboot the Laptop all is well.

I ought to resolve the cause but have been able to manage to date.

It hasn't been limited to one router either, hence why I suspect the OS.

It normally occurs when I switch from Ethernet to WiFi.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry for the slow replies, really bogged down with work here, I did attempt to setup both the laptops via the ipv4 properties on wireless, but this just resulted in the same problem again, whereby only one could connect at a time.

The problem has been occuring after multiple restarts and connecting to the network from a fresh boot Scubbie.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Limited connectivity is Microsoft speak for the computer not managing to acquire a DHCP lease from your router.

Check the DHCP scope on the router, and make sure there are enough IP addresses available. It's always better to use DHCP where available, but as a last resort, you could switch your computers to using static (or manual) IP addresses. The link above will help you understand how DHCP works.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WheelNutWalter For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (02-10-11)