Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals

This is a discussion on Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I am relatively new to Sky BB but following the instructions that Scubbie gave me in this thread: - ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Adding a Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals

Hi

I am relatively new to Sky BB but following the instructions that Scubbie gave me in this thread: -

Moving To Sky Broadband Unlimited

Post #49

I have managed to connect up to my bog standard Sky supplied D-Link router, my older but vastly superior Netgear WNR3500.

Everything works perfectly - the wireless has been turned off the D-Link, which to all intents and purposes works as a modem now, with my WNR3500 doing all the distribution around my house, wirelessly and via ethernet. The WNR3500 is an N-draft router and does not possess it's own modem.

We get great WiFi signal strength in most rooms of our house but there is one room where I am anxious to boost signal strength - it's very week at the moment and is upstairs from my WNR3500 and diagonally opposite as well.

I have my now defunct Netgear DG834G v3 lying around and was wondering if I placed this within my house upstairs landing area, whether it would be possible to link it to the WNR3500 downstairs wirelessly. Ethernet is out for the present but I could consider connecting the two routers via ethernet in the future - for now I am wondering if I can connect them wirelessly and if so whether it would boost the Wifi signals upstairs. The WNR3500, as I have said is N-draft whereas the DG834G is b/g only.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

roz

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals

Hello Roz,

Nice to hear that everything is still working well.

Unfortunately Routers don't have the correct firmware to link wirelessly to other routers. I believe that there is a custom firmware available for the Netgear DG834G v3 that will allow this.

Linking it to your Netgear WNR3500 via Ethernet or HomePlugs would be the safer idea.

For instructions on setting up the Netgear DG834G v3 without the custom firmware, you could look at the document in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

The instructions would allow you to configure the Netgear DG834G v3 to work as a slave to the Netgear WNR3500.

How to link the two together though?

I am aware that you use the 1Gbit LAN and would prefer WiFi n, neither of which the Netgear DG834G v3 supports. It is possible to purchase a proper WiFi Extender. This would fill the dead spot. These can cost from around 45.

The alternative would be to use a pair of HomePlugs. These cost from 35 for a pair, but the higher spec ones that support 1Gbit or WiFi n will cost a bit more. A few examples are in the links below:

TRENDnet TPL-401E2K Bridge - EN, Fast EN, Gigabit EN, HomePlug AV (HPAV)

homeplug wifi n - Google Search

netgear wnr3500 - Google Search

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie - most appreciated Everything is working well, although I have given up requesting a Sky n-draft router or getting DLM testing started again (it was stopped following a recent Outage in our area) - Customer Service goes from extremely bad to even worse! My throughput download speed as measured by a Newsreader prog I use is a stable 12.5/12.7 Mbps and although I only get about 600 Kbps upload speed - I rarely upload. So I am happy for the moment at least as before with my former BB supplier, I got 7.5/7.7Mbps as measured in the same way.

I obviously do not want to disturb my existing setup too much as it is working flawlessly.

However having just read your post, I remember that I have a pair of HDX101 Home Plugs from Netgear lying around. How would these work to achieve my aim? They are 200 Mbps ones. Are we suggesting that I could use one of the spare Ethernet ports on the D-Link? And then use the other plug upstairs into which a further ethernet cable is used? I haven't tried any of the available D-Link ports yet but IIRC you said that they would be free for the future? All my WNR3500 ones are fully utilised.

I would not want to transfer large files to and from my network devices - I would just want Internet capability - if this helps. I remember that I tried to stream HD video files into my living room via these and they were better than wireless but still not very good. Again I would doubt we will be wanting to stream HD stuff via the internet for instance but what would the internet capability be?

roz

roz

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh - have been doing some reading. I have an ethernet socket upstairs, which is fed by one of the ethernet ports on my WNR3500. By connecting one Home Plug to this, via a switch it would feed the other a little better as both plugs would then be on the same ring main

I think I will give it a go, if I can lay my hands on a spare switch

roz

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ohh but just one question - the switch that I have lying around is only a 10/100 one. My wife uses the ethernet connection for browsing the internet - emailing, chatting etc and downloading music files. Would her internet connection be hindered in any way by placing this 10/100 switch between the WNR3500 (a Gigabit switch) and her PC, which has a Gigabit Lan?

roz

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It will make no difference to the internet speed, which is well below 100mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you - I will give it a go tomorrow, before I go to work, which is where I'm off in an hour

roz

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

As Tom has pointed out, it won't make any difference to the Internet connection.

I'll also point out the obvious that the Netgear DG834G v3 router also only has 10/100Mb LAN ports. Provided that you have enough to spare, you could use this instead of the 10/100Mb switch for now if the WiFi can reach the dead spot.

The HomePlugs should be just fine.

I forgot to mention that since the WNR3500 is WiFi n and the DG834G is WiFi g, you should not give them both the same WiFi name (SSID) as this is likely to confuse any computers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Marvellous stuff - thank you.

I would like to experiment though with the DG834G v3 to extend my wireless range. Could someone please point me in the direction of a Custom Firmware which will allow me to connect the DG834G to my WNR3500 "wirelessly" please?

I understand that the stock firmware doesn't provide for "client mode", whatever that is, as it's needed to do this.

Ethernet cabling is out at the moment.

Would appreciate some help as I have my doubts re the Home Plugs.

Thank you in anticipation once more

roz

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The DGTeam firmware might support it -
      [DG834GT/PN/N] UNOFFICIAL FIRMWARE - DGTeam

I don't think the Tomato or the WRT can be used with the DG834.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast