Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals

This is a discussion on Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thank you Isitme - I came across that website yesterday but as you may or may not know, the links ...

rozel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Adding A Second Router To Boost WiFi Signals

Thank you Isitme - I came across that website yesterday but as you may or may not know, the links are all dead and have been for quite a while now, so it seems.

However by some means, which I forget now, I managed to download my router's custom firmware, produced by DGTeam, version 849, which I further understand is the latest workable firmware.

Before doing anything else and after quite a bit of research this morning, I would like to know the following if someone could help me some more please: -

1. What exactly is the correct procedure in flashing this custom firmware, the .zip file doesn't contain instructions, and I guess I will need some flashing utility or something? I run Windows 7 (64-bit).

2. As and when I have successfully upgraded the firmware - what am I looking for in the DG834G v3 and what settings do I need to change?

3. Are there any settings on the WNR3500 that I need to change also?

Most of what I have read seems to concentrate on flashing a "Sky-provided" router to extract the Username and password, which of course, is not my aim. I want to plug in my non-sky provided DG834G v3 and get it to communicate wirelessly with my WNR3500, so as to extend the latters range a little. Ohh and Scubbie - thank you for mentioning the separate SSID's - I was wondering about that

Thanks again

roz

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It was open for a while, but it seems they have once more closed it to guests. There are some accessible, but the ones marked 'New' require a membership, unfortunately yours is one of those marked New. The latest firmware is 1018.

You should be able to change the firmware by using the Upgrade function built into the router, if this does not work you would have to use the Recovery Utility, the same as changing a router with Sky firmware. When the firmware is installed you would be looking for the 'Device Mode' section, where, if it is available, you will be able to change it to bridging or client mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh right. Thanks for that information. Have been searching for the 1018 for my router - the best I can find is 849. Are you sure there is a DG834G v3 1018 out there somewhere?

Presumably I would need to change the WNR3500 to bridging mode also? Or do I just leave it as it is? Am I getting confused with "Repeater Mode"? All these modes are very confusing

Cheers

roz
      Last edited by rozel; 31-08-11 at 01:15 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The thread on our forum has not been updated, but if you go to the DGTeam forum you will see the latest release.
      DGTeam - The Custom DG834XX Series Router Firmware Web Site

I think you will find all the information you require in the manual, but you should note that using routers like this makes proper security impossible. You will be able to use WEP at best. Homeplugs are far more secure.
      http://documentation.netgear.com/wnr...FullManual.pdf

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks.

I have been on the site but cannot download the firmware from there and other sites, whilst offering ver 1018, they tend to be for the DG834GT and not my DG834G v3. The latest I can find out there for my router is version 849 and I read somewhere that that is the latest for my router.

Anyhow that's as maybe - I have decided to go with a third option via a purpose bought WiFi Extender.

I am buying a Netgear (as I like their products) WN2000RPT which will connect to my WNR3500 wirelessly and will allow for my existing WPA Encryption to continue and without altering throughput speeds.

All being well I will get the unit tomorrow and it shouldn't take me long to set it up.

I will update this thread one way or the other over the week end.

Thanks again for all your valuable support.

roz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12