Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HP IP Address Conflict

This is a discussion on HP IP Address Conflict within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Having problems with my HP Officejet 6500 Wireless printers wireless performance - Has worked fine for about 6 months until ...

fletchasdad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

HP IP Address Conflict

Having problems with my HP Officejet 6500 Wireless printers wireless performance - Has worked fine for about 6 months until yesterday but when I tried to print this morning, I couldn't get it to print despite Wireless light being on the printer. I ran Configure My Printer function, when it ran the Check Network Set Up it gave me the following response "Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.2.80, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.0.5 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry." Did so with no joy!!

The Network Configuration page shows the Printer is connected to my netwok and when I run the Network Test Report it says everything is fine with an excellent Signal Strength but the printer just won't communicate with my laptop.

Have also now reset all printer settings to factory settings, uninstalled all the software and reinstalled using installation CD this pm When I get to Network Set Up it still gives me the "Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.2.80, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.0.5 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry." message

Am beginning to lose patience!! Works fine with a USB connection so I can still print but whats the point of having wireless if it doesn't work?? Also my wife can't print from her laptop either so have had to reinstall a USB Epson printer!
      thanks

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: HP IP Address Conflict

"Your printer is using IP address 169.254.2.80"

That shows your printer is now part of another network not the network based on your router (ie 192.168.0.xxx).

It's difficult to tell why this has happened but you need to re-register your printer as part of the correct network so it can communicate correctly.

At the moment it isn't part of your old network and has settled on this private network of which it is the only member! I'd personally suspect the WiFi channel is corrupted by other equipment and trying other WiFi channels may be helpful..

A solution is offered here: Office jet 6500 Incompatible IP Address - HP Support Forum
      Last edited by dms05; 31-05-11 at 11:06 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: HP IP Address Conflict

Give your printer a fixed/static IP address.

- Print a Network Configuration Page from the front of the printer. Note down the printer's IP address.
      - Type that IP address into a browser to get to the printer's internal settings.
      - Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
      - On this screen set a Manual IP. Put in 192.168.0.200, this will keep it well clear of the addresses given out by the router.
      - Subnet 255.255.255.0
      - Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply

Shut down the router and printer, start the router to clear old settings, wait till it is fully started, then start the printer. It should connect to the router using the new address.

You may need to go through the 'Add a Printer' process using the new IP address, but this may not be necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.