Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WiFi not working on Vista

This is a discussion on WiFi not working on Vista within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; We've just got Sky Broadband today and everything seems to be working ok with the Sagemcom F@ST 2304 router at ...

Izak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Netgear N900
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

WiFi not working on Vista

We've just got Sky Broadband today and everything seems to be working ok with the Sagemcom F@ST 2304 router at the moment.

The WiFi connects fine with most devices including iPhone, iPod and Wii but three PCs running Windows Vista refuse to connect to the router for wireless coming up asking to diagnose the problem but still can't connect.

The three PCs all connected to my old Netgear DG834G router (TalkTalk Broadband) but my brother who works at Sky has said they are aware of WiFi problems with Sky Routers and Windows Vista.

Can anyone help? I copied all the WiFi details (SSID, Password, etc) across from the Netgear and most devices have just connected automatically as if it was still the old router.

2. Advertisement
      stjimmy1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: WiFi not working on Vista

i had this issue and never did resolve it, ended up getting a wifi dongle.
      ive seen other users fix this problem just by updating there wireless adaptor drivers.
      Toshiba 40rv753, Sky HD Amstrad drx890, Onky Amp Hts 3305, Phat Sony Playstation 500gb.

Cnxtion Speed 19476 kbps 1023 kbps, Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 8.0 dB, Noise Margin 7.0 dB 8.0 dB Ping: 34 ms

Psn : stjimmy1980 Twitter : jimmyoxford

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Personally I would strongly recommend that you disable the WiFi on the Sagem 2304n for the present moment.

There are lots of people reporting issues around this router and the current official line is to disable WiFi.

Since you have an old Netgear DG834G, you can look at using this as a WiFi access point. This would allow everything to work properly whilst we are looking for a proper long-term fix.

If you don't know how to link the two routers together, please take a look at this thread for guidance:

How to connect two Routers together

Once you can get the Vista based PC on-line, update all the drivers on it, especially the WiFi adaptor.

Normally I would run through various other things, but there are so many people experiencing problems, it would be unwise IMHO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Personally I would strongly recommend that you disable the WiFi on the Sagem 2304n for the present moment.

There are lots of people reporting issues around this router and the current official line is to disable WiFi.

Since you have an old Netgear DG834G, you can look at using this as a WiFi access point. This would allow everything to work properly whilst we are looking for a proper long-term fix.

If you don't know how to link the two routers together, please take a look at this thread for guidance:

How to connect two Routers together

Once you can get the Vista based PC on-line, update all the drivers on it, especially the WiFi adaptor.

Normally I would run through various other things, but there are so many people experiencing problems, it would be unwise IMHO.
      Thanks for your reply. I've set my Netgear set up as an access point at the moment (hopefully switch over to it fully if I get the password problem sorted as mentioned on another thread).

However, while the Netgear is working fine as a WiFi Access point and all my devices see and connect to it fine, the speed is really really slow.

My laptop told me it needed a 10MB update doing for its virus checker. I told it to do this and forgot all about it. I came back to it about an hour later and it was still downloading at 6 KB per second!!!!

I plugged it straight into the router by ethernet and it instantly downloaded and installed the update.

Why should the speed be so slow via WiFi. It was never like that before on my Netgear router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izak View Post
      Why should the speed be so slow via WiFi. It was never like that before on my Netgear router.
      There should be no difference as it is the Netgear router which is responsible for the WiFi link.

Can I suggest that you download and install inSSIDer?

This program will allow you to see the WiFi signal strength and check that that it is located in the best position.

I would also suggest that you check that nothing has been placed near it which could interfere with the WiFi signal.

If the Netgear is located near to a TV, for example, to provide some LAN ports there, then consider moving it about 2m from the TV.

Also, when you said that you plugged the Laptop into the LAN port, which router did you use?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

There should be no difference as it is the Netgear router which is responsible for the WiFi link.

Can I suggest that you download and install inSSIDer?

This program will allow you to see the WiFi signal strength and check that that it is located in the best position.

I would also suggest that you check that nothing has been placed near it which could interfere with the WiFi signal.

If the Netgear is located near to a TV, for example, to provide some LAN ports there, then consider moving it about 2m from the TV.

Also, when you said that you plugged the Laptop into the LAN port, which router did you use?
      Thanks for your reply

I have not moved the Netgear router since being on TalkTalk, the only difference is the Sky router is sitting next to it now.

It is near my HDTV/PC monitor and PC but it has always been and has never caused any problems before.

When I plugged the laptop in by ethernet, I actually unplugged the Netgear router from the Sky Router and used that ethernet cable for my laptop (as I had no other spare ones) so it was straight into the Sky router.

I'll give that program you suggested a go but as the router hasn't changed position, I don't think that is the problem. Maybe the Sky router is causing interference though?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izak View Post
      I have not moved the Netgear router since being on TalkTalk, the only difference is the Sky router is sitting next to it now.

It is near my HDTV/PC monitor and PC but it has always been and has never caused any problems before.

When I plugged the laptop in by ethernet, I actually unplugged the Netgear router from the Sky Router and used that ethernet cable for my laptop (as I had no other spare ones) so it was straight into the Sky router.

I'll give that program you suggested a go but as the router hasn't changed position, I don't think that is the problem. Maybe the Sky router is causing interference though?
      It shouldn't cause any problems if you have disabled the WiFi on the Sky router.

I was wondering if there was an issue with the Netgear router. Monitor things and see how they go.

Thanks

It shouldn't cause any problems if you have disabled the WiFi on the Sky router.

I was wondering if there was an issue with the Netgear router. Monitor things and see how they go.
      Thanks for your reply.

As I'm just mentioned in my other thread:Obtaining Username and Password from Sagemcom F@st 2304, I've fixed the slow WiFi. After eventually connecting up to Sky with my Netgear router and totally removed the Sky Router from the connection, the WiFi has dramatically increased in speed.

I tested it by downloading a 11 MB file from a website on to my laptop. Before with the Netgear/Sagemcom connection it was downloading at around 40 KB per second if that. Now with just the Netgear router in the equation, it downloaded at roughly 250-350 KB per second!!!

Thanks

I saw the post in the other thread.

Just to be clear on the speeds though, you may wish to try a few checks on sites such as Speedtest.net or use the tool on this forum.

Remember that you will loose a little speed on WiFi when compared to a cabled connection.