Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Annoying wireless problem.

This is a discussion on Annoying wireless problem. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; First of all I must say the router works 100% of the time and perfectly for my main pc, the ...

Harts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Annoying wireless problem.

First of all I must say the router works 100% of the time and perfectly for my main pc, the problem comes in when im trying to connect a laptop to it... 1/10 times it will work and auto connect 9/10 my router doesnt show up in the wireless network list and to get it connected i have to turn off the router and turn it back on this can take up to 4 tries to work its very annoying because doing this means i have to stop what im doing on the main pc too, once i get it working it never loses connection or anything like that its all fine its just hard to get it on in the first place for some reason... the same pc same laptop never had this problem when i was with o2... Can anyone please help i phoned sky but yeah thats a waste of time and effort, PC running win7 ultimate and laptop running XP and my router is the D-link DSL-2640S
      Last edited by Harts; 27-04-11 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Annoying wireless problem.

What channel is the router using as it may just need changing.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its set to auto

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

There is no harm in setting your WiFi channel to one that is suitable for your area.

Download and install inSSIDer. This tool can help you to discover which channel have the least amount of traffic in your area.

The ideal set of channels are 1, 6, 11 or 13. 1, 6 & 11 do not overlap each other. Channel 13 is often untouched and only partially overlaps channel 11.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

It set at 6 now but it hasnt solved the problem i just had to turn the router off and on 3 times before it would connect

Thanks

It is beginning to look as though the WiFi abilities of your router are starting to fail.

Unfortunately there are a lot of other people experiencing issues with the latest router which is being distributed by Sky.

These problems are not related to your router, and have been quite severe in some cases. The result is that there is very little stock left of spare Sky Routers and often it is the new router which is being sent out.

Knowing that the D-Link DSL-2640S that you have is quite popular, but subject to failures like any other router, I would be inclined to look for an alternative solution for the present.

A couple of ideas which you may wish to consider are:

* use an old WiFi router and piggyback it to the D-Link router, turning the WiFi off on the D-Link router

* extract the password from the D-Link router and use an old router instead (this is against Sky's T&Cs but does work)

* purchase a WiFi range extender or WiFi access point and connect this to the D-Link router

If you don't have a spare WiFi router lying around, new WiFi n routers are available for as little as 20. It is even possible to use a Cable router, if you happen to have one lying around.

Before jumping in though, others may wish to comment further on possible causes for the WiFi playing up on your router.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It set at 6 now but it hasnt solved the problem i just had to turn the router off and on 3 times before it would connect
      Is this channel free in your area? It also overlaps with 7 which is very popular with the BT Hub. Try channel 13 or 1, or use Inssider to see what is in use and select one as far from those in use as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Starting to fail after little over a month thats a long lifespan they have lol.

as for if that channel is free in my area or not i have no idea but its working good for me when it was set auto speedtest.net was giving me 7mb results now on 6 i get 13mb-14mb which is what sky said i would get in my area

Thanks

Could you post your Router Stats please?

Also could you confirm how your router is connected to your telephone line (i.e. extension, master socket, which ADSL lead your are using)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harts View Post
      So it has solved your problem and you do not have to reboot often to get a connection? If so that's fine

as for if that channel is free in my area or not i have no idea
      Scubbie and I both advised you to download Inssider, to discover the channels in use in your area. You may find channel 6 goes 'off' again, so it might be a good idea to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.