Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Acer Wireless issue - local access only - please help - losing the will to live!!

This is a discussion on Acer Wireless issue - local access only - please help - losing the will to live!! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I am a techie for a living and yet I just cannot get my acer to connect wirelessly to ...

angryfromwales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01745
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Acer Wireless issue - local access only - please help - losing the will to live!!

Hi, I am a techie for a living and yet I just cannot get my acer to connect wirelessly to my sagem router. I have upgraded the wireless adapter driver, I have changed all the settings on the router and made sure they matched the properties of the connection/adapter (after deleting all instances of previous connections). I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and whilst it will connect fine, it will not go out to the net. I have disabled all encryption on the router and then it will connect to the net but as all the settings match I am losing the will to live!!!

I have connected my boyfriend's old HP XP laptop with no trouble at all so I know its not an issue with the router, just my cruddy acer. If anyone knows of anything else I could try (apart from throwing the thing out of the nearest window which is becoming ever more attractive by the minute) please please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Kelly

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Acer Wireless issue - local access only - please help - losing the will to live!!

Quote Originally Posted by angryfromwales View Post
      Hi, I am a techie for a living and yet I just cannot get my acer to connect wirelessly to my sagem router. I have upgraded the wireless adapter driver, I have changed all the settings on the router and made sure they matched the properties of the connection/adapter (after deleting all instances of previous connections). I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and whilst it will connect fine, it will not go out to the net. I have disabled all encryption on the router and then it will connect to the net but as all the settings match I am losing the will to live!!!

I have connected my boyfriend's old HP XP laptop with no trouble at all so I know its not an issue with the router, just my cruddy acer. If anyone knows of anything else I could try (apart from throwing the thing out of the nearest window which is becoming ever more attractive by the minute) please please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

Kelly
      Sounds like the wireless driver doesn't support WPA/WPA2

If your router is the new sagem F@ST 2504n, the router will not allow your encryption to be changed to WEP.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Acer Wireless issue - local access only - please help - losing the will to live!!

Better still, try changing the Network Key on the router to all lowercase letters.

You'll need to redo all your other WiFi devices to match the new key, but this has fixed it for me on a few occasions.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

angryfromwales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01745
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies. It will allow me to set it to WEP but this makes no difference.

Tried changing to lower case and still connected with limited access.

Guess I'll just have to stick to using a cabled connection

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Am I given to understand that you are connecting to the router with the laptop, but can't access the Internet?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Does it say anything like unidentified network?

Could you try pinging 74.125.77.99 from command prompt and post the percentage loss?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can you post the stats in the box in the screenshot below.

stjimmy1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

i have the exact same problem with my partners acer 5315, ive updated drivers, disabled firewall etc, reinstalled vista, entered mac code into router and i still get local access unidentified network!

its annoying me cause she has the ethernet cable all rund the bloody flat!

i havnt tried changing key to lower case yet tho

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Does it say anything like unidentified network?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stjimmy1980 View Post
      i have the exact same problem with my partners acer 5315, ive updated drivers, disabled firewall etc, reinstalled vista, entered mac code into router and i still get local access unidentified network!

its annoying me cause she has the ethernet cable all rund the bloody flat!

i havnt tried changing key to lower case yet tho
      See this link for more on unidentified network issues.

stjimmy1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

link doesnt work?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast