Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Laptop connection problem

This is a discussion on Laptop connection problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all im new here, My girlfriend has recently changed from bt to sky. And i set it up for ...

chong2k4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Acer Aspire unidentified network wireless

Hi all im new here,

My girlfriend has recently changed from bt to sky. And i set it up for them.

Before they had all laptops in house connected via wireless, now upon changing to sky and using this sagemcom router, every laptop/phone apart from 1 laptop can connect. One laptop gives the same "unidentified network" messege but says in brackets (SKYB2842) the name of the network. But i cant connect to router home page via 192.168.0.1,
      I can connect via ethernet on this laptop and connect to the router page.

Ive tried, resetting tcp/ip / uninstalling reinstalling network adaptor / updating drivers / uninstalling itunes (disabling bonjour service)/ and other various fixes.

Ive took the laptop over to my house and it connects via wireless, im on BT so..... It seems to me that the wireless adaptor is locked onto BT and is not taking to a new isp, or maybe a new router.

It does say unidentifed network on public network, have tried changing to private network but defaults back to public.

So to reply to the above posts, i dont think its a problem with the router as ive got all other laptops connecting to it.

Ill keep you updated if i find anything.

Cheers
      Last edited by chong2k4; 07-04-11 at 12:52 AM.

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Nightmare first day - Sky Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by chong2k4 View Post
      Hi all im new here,

My girlfriend has recently changed from bt to sky. And i set it up for them.

Before they had all laptops in house connected via wireless, now upon changing to sky and using this sagemcom router, every laptop/phone apart from 1 laptop can connect. One laptop gives the same "unidentified network" messege but says in brackets (SKYB2842) the name of the network. But i cant connect to router home page via 192.168.0.1,
      I can connect via ethernet on this laptop and connect to the router page.

Ive tried, resetting tcp/ip / uninstalling reinstalling network adaptor / updating drivers / uninstalling itunes (disabling bonjour service)/ and other various fixes.

Ive took the laptop over to my house and it connects via wireless, im on BT so..... It seems to me that the wireless adaptor is locked onto BT and is not taking to a new isp, or maybe a new router.

It does say unidentifed network on public network, have tried changing to private network but defaults back to public.

So to reply to the above posts, i dont think its a problem with the router as ive got all other laptops connecting to it.

Ill keep you updated if i find anything.

Cheers
      Unidentified network is an issue were the router is not able to obtain the default gateway even if it is manually assigned.

Which netsh commands did you preform?

TCP/IP stack?
      Winsock stack?
      ipv4?
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers View Post
      Was it only the power light that was on.

There is now a firmware upgrade to fix it, if you have still not received the new router.
      All the nessecary lights are on, i might have a go at updating firmware later on when over. Have only had router for few weeks, so im guessing its came preinstalled with latest.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But the more i think about it, the router cant be at fault as all other laptops are connected fine. hmm

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chong2k4 View Post
      But the more i think about it, the router cant be at fault as all other laptops are connected fine. hmm
      Unidentfied Network is a PC not a router issue.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It sounds like it could be one of two issues:

* the O/S needs to be properly configured to recognise the network as a 'Home' network, not public

* the Laptop is unable to work properly with the Network Passkey in uppercase letters

For the first option, take a look at the following link and see if it helps you to navigate through the menus and correct the issue.

Windows Vista Tips: Home Networking Setup Tutorial - WinPlanet Windows Software Reviews

For the 2nd option you will need to log into the router. For simplicity you could change the Network key to the same letters as it is currently, but in lowercase instead of uppercase. (i.e. change ADBCEFGH to abcdefgh).

Sign in to the router by typing '192.168.0.1' in to the address line of your browser.

Select 'SETUP'

Under the heading 'Security Options', change the 'Network Key' to all lowercase letters.

Click <Apply>

BT HomeHubs use a combination of numbers and lowercase letters for their network keys. Sky uses all uppercase letters. I've had a couple of laptops that could not sign in properly when the network key was in upper case, not just on a Sky router, but also another. One was Windows XP, the other Windows Vista.

Please let us know either way if this works.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 06-04-11 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added final stage 'click apply'

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

On my way over now, will update with results.

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Tried changing to lower case and also tried to change to private network. Stil having same issue. Im currently connected on the problem laptop via ethernet.

Can net work cards be OEM? like can only be used with 1 isp?

Cheers

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

arrrgggghhhh!

The WiFi adaptor within the Laptop could well be the issue. Personally I'm not current enough to even be able to advise on obtaining a new adaptor for the laptop.

Visit the manufacturer's website and download & install all the latest firmware updates available.

Other than ensuring that all the Windows updates have been applied there isn't a great deal more that I can think of just now. Don't just rely on the automatic & critical updates, look for the optional updates too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you checked that the adapter does not have a fixed IP address? If it has an address in the 192.169.1.xxx range that would account for it connecting to the BT router and not the Sky one.

Go into the wireless adapters LAN Properties and check if it has a fixed address. If it has, check to box for 'Obtain an IP address automatically' OK out and disconnect the ethernet cable. Right click the wireless icon in the tray, click search for networks and try to connect.

If the w/adapter is already set to automatic, try giving it a fixed address by checking 'Use this IP' and put in
      IP address.........192.168.0.100
      Subnet................255.255.255.0
      Gateway..............192.168.0.1
      Leave the rest blank.

To the best of my knowledge you do not get OEM adapters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast