Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless network poor connection

This is a discussion on wireless network poor connection within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Have a sky d-link modem/router connected to my computer downstairs in the dining room.Have two wirless laptops connected to the ...

phoenix22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sandiacre
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

wireless network poor connection

Have a sky d-link modem/router connected to my computer downstairs in the dining room.Have two wirless laptops connected to the network with no problems. Have a second computer in my sons bedroom with a belkin n wireless adapter connecting to the network. The connection is not very good though. Manage three sometimes two bars when connected but it never lasts. What's the best way to boost wireless connection?

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: wireless network poor connection

You could purchase an N grade router and piggyback them. See Scubbies document on connecting two routers.

You could open up command prompt and run netsh wlan show all, or download inSSIDer. Will enable you to see what channel the neighbours wireless are on.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Personally if it is just the one computer, I would actually sanction the purchase of a pair of HomePlugs.

Whilst a WiFi n rated router will also address the issue, it can still be costly.

By using a pair of HomePlugs, your son would be able to connect to the router at the LAN speed of 100mbps (if you purchase a pair rated to this speed).

If you happen to have a spare router or switch laying around, then the HomePlugs can also be used to extend your network. If the router is WiFi enabled, then this can also extend your WiFi coverage.

The document that IHSA mentioned is in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Personally if it is just the one computer, I would actually sanction the purchase of a pair of HomePlugs.

Whilst a WiFi n rated router will also address the issue, it can still be costly.

By using a pair of HomePlugs, your son would be able to connect to the router at the LAN speed of 100mbps (if you purchase a pair rated to this speed).

If you happen to have a spare router or switch laying around, then the HomePlugs can also be used to extend your network. If the router is WiFi enabled, then this can also extend your WiFi coverage.

The document that IHSA mentioned is in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together
      Only issue with Homeplugs though is that they have to be on the same power circuit.

You can sometime purchase N grade routers for around 20-30
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

phoenix22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sandiacre
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks that's been really helpful. Had heard of homeplugs but didn't know if they would be the right thing for my network. Shall look into getting a couple. Now I do have a spare router at the moment. We were with a different provider for broadband and just had the modum so when my daughter got her own laptop she got her own router which is now redundent. It's a Netgear Rangemax wireless router WPN824. I'm pretty sure it's n enabled. What I'm understanding is that I get one homeplug connected to the sky modum/router and our main computer and the other homeplug in my sons room through the netgear router to his computer useing the internal electrics to connect, or can I just connect via the homeplugs and skip the router?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix22 View Post
      Thanks that's been really helpful. Had heard of homeplugs but didn't know if they would be the right thing for my network. Shall look into getting a couple. Now I do have a spare router at the moment. We were with a different provider for broadband and just had the modum so when my daughter got her own laptop she got her own router which is now redundent. It's a Netgear Rangemax wireless router WPN824. I'm pretty sure it's n enabled. What I'm understanding is that I get one homeplug connected to the sky modum/router and our main computer and the other homeplug in my sons room through the netgear router to his computer useing the internal electrics to connect, or can I just connect via the homeplugs and skip the router?
      You can skip either the Homeplugs or the router.

Personally since you already have a router that would extend your wireless range grade I would just skip the Homeplugs and piggback the WPN824 router with the sky one

The router you mentioned doesn't have an N certificate, but it does apparently have 10 times the range of wireless G and therefore sounds like it would meet your needs. The reason that it doesn't have an N certificate is because it only manages 108Mbps and the minimum required for N is 150Mbps

For piggbacking the routers all you need is an ethernet cable

Here is a link to Scubbies document that will explain how to do it. Connecting Two Routers

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

lol - all three solutions are feasible.

Ultimately the choice is going to be yours. Cost and practicality are for me the two main factors.

Personally I prefer a wired connection (which you would effectively have using the HomePlugs or HomePlugs & Netgear WPN824 as this provides for the better speed.

Since the PC is static, the HomePlugs would work well on their own.

Connecting the Netgear WPN824 to them in your Son's room would also give you wider WiFi coverage in the rest of your home.

In practise it doesn't matter having so many WiFi access points, so long as each uses it's own WPA or WPA-PSK encryption key (WEP is useless now). This would provide you with a degree of security.

If your Son's room is at the back of your home, then you could also use a Laptop in the Garden.

HomePlugs tend not to work well on Surge Protected extensions. For this reason I tend to recommend a HomePlug with a electrical socket built in for something else to use.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In practise it doesn't matter having so many WiFi access points, so long as each uses it's own WPA or WPA-PSK encryption key (WEP is useless now). This would provide you with a degree of security.
      128bit WEP has 16.7 million possible combinations.(sounds like a lot but can be hacked by a five year old with google)

WPA-PSK/PSK2 has 500 trillion possible combinations, hence the reason you should use it.