Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

constant sky router problems

This is a discussion on constant sky router problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys. a few months back my parents switched from NTL and moved to Sky. We bought not just the ...

Chris1992 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

constant sky router problems

Hi guys. a few months back my parents switched from NTL and moved to Sky. We bought not just the sky internet but the phone and the TV are all now sky.

When we were on NTL we used a Lynksys wireless router and from what i can recall, we never had a single problem in all the years we were with them. Now however, at least maybe once or twice a day, our connection goes from local and internet, to local only. and we are without internet for many hours until it begins working again. This is a huge inconvenience as my job includes working at home and without the internet i am having to move to my friends house just to be able to use the internet and work.

We try resetting, leaving it off and turning it back on (which repairs it short-term), turning off the laptop, resetting the laptop, using different laptops, repairing the connection, all this and that and still everyday the internet @ flashes orange and our laptops go to local only. What can be done to permanently fix this!? Sorry for the long message.

EDIT: im a noob and im not 100% sure if my router shown at the top is actually mine, it could have been one of the others

2. Advertisement
      I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: constant sky router problems

The router shown above is a white phase 1 netgear.

Are you connected to the Master Socket?

Are you using the short grey Sky supplied ADSL cable?

Would you be able to post your Router Stats?

If your old router is an N grade router it is possible to piggyback them

Have a look at this Scubbies document on connecting two routers
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you could look on the underside of your router, there is normally a colourful label. This will identify the make & possibly the model of your router.

Type in the address 192.168.0.1. You'll be asked to enter your sign in details, but if you look closely, you'll see the model number displayed.

If yours is the SagemCom 2304n, then it is likely that you are also a victim of the faulty batch which has been dispatched to some many other new Sky customers.

Your symptoms sound the same.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

im still not 100% on the model as i cant seem to find the original box it came in, but i know its around somewhere. for a description, it is black and thin, and it says D-Link all over it, if that helps.

in terms of the master socket, yes. The master socket is used by both the Sky house phone and the wireless router.

and yes, there is a grey wire coming out of a socket called 'ADSL' on the back of the router. the only other wire coming out of the router is the power one.

i will try to find the box to find the model of the router

Exchange:
      Thanks

Guessing that you have D-Link DSL-2640S.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Please post your stats as requested.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi there. finally able to access the internet again, sorry for my delayed reply.

i phoned sky and they checked my status from their end. it turns out my connection had a 'loop' in it. not sure exactly what that means. probably something to do with someone else on the connection line?

either way, the guy came this morning and did something to the box, then said they need to re-rout it from their end.

i got a phonecall a few hours back and they said its been taken care of and my net should be up and running as normal. since then i have had no problems and i am grateful for that...

but does anyone here care to explain what they actually meant by having a looped line? as i really am technichally nooby.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

A loop fault, as far as my knowledge goes, is a short between the two legs of the line. Assuming the fault location was showing 'customer apparatus' i.e. at the premises, it's usually a fault picked up by internal wiring and customer equipment, but if it's still returned with no faceplate or equipment connected the line, then it's a fault that will be raised to Openreach (as you've seen in your case).

Exchange:
      Thanks

Usually a loop fault will resolve itself when the test socket is exposed.