Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advice on setting some things up

This is a discussion on Advice on setting some things up within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a basic idea of what I wish to do and mostly I am just posting this for comments/general ...

Onomato is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Advice on setting some things up

I have a basic idea of what I wish to do and mostly I am just posting this for comments/general advice.

Ok, so essentially wireless signal in my house is rubbish (to the extent of being intermittent even to the next room) I am not sure whether it is due to thick walls or signal interference from other routers (there are people near us on pretty much every channel and the family desktop was able to detect but not connect to the wireless signal. Now from my room which is slightly closer distance wise but on another floor can get an unrealiable signal connection, which can be more than fustrating at time (Especially as where it can pick up a signal, even intermittently is not anywhere near my desk).

Now for the family computer I already set the internet up with some 200mbs powerlines/homeplugs which work well enough but as I was considering getting a PS3 for myself in my room and the signal clearly would not be good enough for wireless on that. So i was considering getting a third homeplug for my ps3, but then i considered if I am going to be doing that it might be nice to get a reliable signal on my laptop as well, also considering that i heard my sister complain the other day she could not get wireless in my room I decided it might be best to connect the homeplug to another router to get a second WAP for the upstairs.

That is the general idea and here's where things get a bit blurry for me, I assume that I can use a non-sky router for the WAP, also I believe I need to set the second router up with a static IP and turn of DHCP on it.

Now am I missing anything? Also with that set up, would it be possible to move from the signal from router to the other without having to manually do so if you were moving about?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Advice on setting some things up

That is quite feasible. Get a cheap wireless N router to connect to the homeplug and it will do everything you want. This one comes highly commended TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N Router Atheros: Computers & Accessories

Windows has the ability to automatically connect to the best wireless signal, but you might find you do not even need the Sky router's wireless.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Advice on setting some things up

Just to add to what tom has posted, connecting two routers together has been explained here:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms