Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless help

This is a discussion on Wireless help within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Morning all, I have just set up the Sky wireless router and can connect through my Iphone and PS3 but ...

kealey_5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless help

Morning all,

I have just set up the Sky wireless router and can connect through my Iphone and PS3 but my PC Desktop will not connect. I am using Windows Vista and it allows me to check for wireless networks but can not find any.

This makes me think that my PC is not wireless enabled but i am having a little trouble trying to establish this as i am not sure what to look for. My PC is an esytems EI307 bought from PCworld but i can't find any details when searching online.

I have checked the device manager and the only things under network adapters are a 'Microsoft 6to4 adapter' and 'Realtek Ethernet'

Am i right in thinking that my PC is not wireless enabled? and does this mean i need to buy an adapter from Sky?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Wireless help

Microsoft Windows XP, Vista & 7 all have the option in the control panel to setup a wireless network whether or not you have Wireless capabilities.

Take a look at the rear of your desktop to see if you have a Wireless (WiFi) aerial. Also look at what you have plugged into your USB ports. You may have a WiFi dongle plugged into one of them.

In case you don't know what the aerial might look like, take a look at the picture in this link. There are better cards available, this is purely for reference.

If you don't have WiFi and your PC doesn't move around your home, then a cable connection offers a speedier connection. If it is a long way from your router, then you have a choice:

a. long LAN cable
      b. a pair of HomePlug adapters

The links above happen to be all to one website. This is for illustration purposes only. There may be cheaper products that suit your requirements elsewhere on the Internet or locally.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your PC has a Foxconn 45GM motherboard which does not include wireless LAN, so unless you ordered it specifically when buying the machine, it does not have wireless capabilities.

If you really want wireless and are confident in opening your PC then I would recommend installing a PCI card. I installed one of these recently for a friend and she finds it excellent. TP-Link TL-WN851N Wireless N PCI Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

People get different results with wireless, depending a lot on the fabric of their home, some are quite happy and others are very disappointed with the experience. I would always recommend ethernet cable or homeplugs for a faster and more stable connection than wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info guys

I wouldn't feel too confident about opening up my PC to install anything and the PC is in one room and the router at the phone line next to front door so no chance of moving PC.

It looks like the homeplugs should hopefully solve my problem. Just out of interest does anybody know what adapter I would get from sky and the cost?

Thanks again for your help

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The WiFi adapter that sky sells is to connect the Sky+ or Sky+ HD STBs to your LAN. From memory it is around 60-70. This isn't suitable for a Laptop or Desktop computer.

You can purchase WiFi n dongles more cheaply for a PC. These plug into a USB port.

Wired connections are less prone to signal loss than WiFi, so they tend to hold their speed better than WiFi.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think Sky still sell the overpriced Netgear WG111T, but I could be wrong. Although Sky will only give support for adapters bought from them, from what I have seen it is minimal and not worth the cost of the adapter.

USB adapters are very easy to install provided you follow the instructions. For a desktop, which is often actually hidden under the desk, I would recommend one with an extension cable, such as this - TP-Link TL-WN821NC Wireless-N USB Adapter w/ USB Dock Cradle (300Mbps) it can be moved around to get the best signal possible. You can connect a USB adapter to an extension cable, but the cradle makes it much nicer.

Although more expensive, Homeplugs are the way to go.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again for the help.

I was considering getting the adapter from Sky as it says on their website that they sell them if your PC is not wireless enabled and I assumed that it would be easier what with all the different variations available.

Having considered your advice however I think I will initially try the cheaper USB wireless adapter as the signal is quite strong on my phone and PS3 so I will see how I get on with that.

Thanks for the help