Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

access point for dummies?

This is a discussion on access point for dummies? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a sagem sky router which has rubbish wifi range. I have a belkin router which I believe can ...

vix2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

access point for dummies?

I have a sagem sky router which has rubbish wifi range. I have a belkin router which I believe can be added to boost this. I have read loads of posts on this, I have got the sagem sky details.

Firstly do the routers need to be placed at strategic locations to even out the signal or does using 3 routers strengthen it? My area is not massive but the sagem doesnt seem to like walls.

Am I going to be hardwiring everything? Basically I don't know what I need to connect to what and with what? I have the ability to hardwire everything.

Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: access point for dummies?

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm in the middle of composing a guide for all of this. The guide will contain some pictures to help.

This is a very popular question. If you search the forum a little, you will get some idea on what you need to do.

Essentially the easiest way is to use a pair of HomePlug or PowerLine adapters. These act by extending your network through your mains wiring.

You then have your Sky router connected to the telephone line and the first Powerline adapter. The other router (your Belkin in this instance) is connected to the 2nd PowerLine adapter and is configured so that it is on the same IP range as the Sky router and allows the Sky router to act as the DHCP server by turning this function off in the Belkin.

For more detailed info, take a look here. Alternatively, search '192.168.0.250' on this forum.

I'm about to go off to bed, but try to dig out the manual for your Belkin Router for the instructions on accessing it.

If you have any problems, please feel free to post more questions, preferably in this thread if it is on this topic.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

vix2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Essentially the easiest way is to use a pair of HomePlug or PowerLine adapters. These act by extending your network through your mains wiring.

You then have your Sky router connected to the telephone line and the first Powerline adapter. The other router (your Belkin in this instance) is connected to the 2nd PowerLine adapter is that somewhere else in the property? and is configured so that it is on the same IP range as the Sky router and allows the Sky router to act as the DHCP server by turning this function off in the Belkin.
      Thank you

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Both adapters need to be near to each other. I believe that the signal gets disrupted when going through the nearby transformer for the mains, so you could share the connection with a neighbour if you wanted. Alternatively you could have a connection in your garden shed.

Each adapter is encrypted and keyed to the other. If someone happens to pick up another pair next-door, they won't automatically or accidentally talk to yours as they need configuring.

A recent thread discussed a member who has a new garage conversion with some protection on the mains circuit. In this instance the PowerPlugs failed between the home & the garage. They don't work on some surge protected extensions.

So other than that, you can happily have one at the front door, where you master socket is, and the other in the big bedroom upstairs, for example.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stiv3n2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141 - Glasgow
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting my 2nd Wireless router to configure correctly, and wondered if you can see what I'm doing wrong.

I'm in the same predicament as the original mailer. I've taken your advise and acquire a Homeplug (D-Link DHP-307AV/B 200 MBPS PowerLine Homeplug AV Network Starter Kit ) which is working fine( ie if I plug it directly into PC upstairs and can access my network and the WEB.

However when I attempt to add my old D-Link DIR655 Wireless router (as instructed using the on the same IP range as the Sky router and allowing the Sky router to act as the DHCP server by turning this function off in the DIR655) all I get is warning/errors from my PC complaining that it hasn't been assigned an IP address, and I can no longer surf the web.

If I assign my PC an IP address in the valid range.... it still get issues with browsing the WEB as I guess it doesn't know where the DNS server is.

Similarly, my Wireless network upstairs is having issues. The wireless network is detected (my phone identifies the SSID of my upstairs router) but when the phone tries to acquire an IP address, it just hangs.

It looks like my DIR655 router is not being assigned IP addresses from the original sky SAGEMCOM f@st2304n router.

What have I done wrong??

One thing I'm wondering is the SSID I've used on the 2nd D-Link router is different from the one on the Sky Sagem, but I don't understand why this would prevent the Wired network from working. ie my PC upstairs being assigned an IP address.

Any Help greatly appreciated.

Stiv (1st ever post on the forum)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

First 2 things to check-
      1. That you are plugged into the ethernet port of the router.
      2. You have given the Dlink an IP address within the Sky routers range ie, 192.168.0.254.

As it is not an ADSL router, you might want to follow the instructions here - see if you have any more success. Although the heading says 615 it is actually for a 635, which is very similar to yours, but does not have gigabit ports.
      Using the DLink DIR613.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the swift response IsItMe.
      I'm sure i've plugged into the ethernet port on the dir655 which I've assigned IP Address 192.168.0.250 (sky router on ,192.168.0.1)

Also, u mentioned checking the ip of the dlink. Is that the homeplug or 655?

Thanks
      Stiv

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The router.

If you have done this and remembered to turn off the DHCP server in the Dlink router, it is hard to see where your problem lies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK Thanks again.

I'll try your alternative method tonight (with the DHCP Server on the DIR655 enabled and still assigning IP address but from a different 192.168.1.XXX range.)
      I'll let you know (and anyone else for that matter) how I get on.

Ta

Thanks

Smile Re: access point for dummies?

Hello Forum,
      Thanks to IsItMe, I now have a two wireless networks (Upstairs & Downstairs) working.
      All thats left to do is work out how users connected to the 'upstrem' network can access devices on the 'downstream' network.
      Ie if the sky-downstairs sub-network wants to connect to a shared nw drive on the DLink upstairs nw, how does it get told where to find my buffalo shared drive cause the 'Buffalo NAS Navigator' cant see the drive anymore as its now on a different sub-net.
      Hope i'm explaining myself.

Stiv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast