Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

USB Wireless Adapter

This is a discussion on USB Wireless Adapter within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just dug out our old desktop, 4 years old but I have got to get a USB Adapter ...

kenntudd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

USB Wireless Adapter

I have just dug out our old desktop, 4 years old but I have got to get a USB Adapter to go wireless. My next door neighbour has a netgear adapter with disk and he has offered it to me so my question will it work?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: USB Wireless Adapter

This is a very difficult question to answer.

Firstly check that the adapter is compatible with the operating system on your PC. Some will insist that they have Service Pack 1, 2 or 3 installed. Does your PC need these?

You may need to plug the PC in initially with an Ethernet cable. Most computers sold 4 years ago had a 10/100 LAN port as standard, but then they also had USB2.0 ports as standard too.

Take a look at the software supplied and check what is on the old PC.

It is likely that if your PC is of an age that it didn't have USB ports fitted, it might be unable to cope with decent Anti-Virus software and browsing the web.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a PC with less than a 1Mhz processor & 512MB RAM. I know that others will say that they have other lesser machines working, but this is only a recommendation.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: USB Wireless Adapter

Taste and try before you buy is the best way. Also check that it is at least capable of 54g, if it is an old 11b one, I would not touch it. Another consideration is the cost, you can get a wireless N adapter for under a tenner, Netgears start at about 15.

If your PC is only 4 years old it will handle it no problem, just make sure you have up-to-date AV installed as soon as possible. Also update the OS as soon as you are connected.

Remember to run the disk before you plug the adapter in, it will tell you when to do this during the setup. Many dive right in, plug in the adapter before installing the drivers and end up with all sorts of problems.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.