Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear routers - absolute noob question

This is a discussion on Netgear routers - absolute noob question within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I have just purchased a Pace Sky+ HD box from a work colleague so am finally going to ...

sfjnet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Netgear routers - absolute noob question

Hi All,
      I have just purchased a Pace Sky+ HD box from a work colleague so am finally going to give HD a try. They also included the Netgear DG943G router (black one) that was included with the package when they subscribed to Sky. I currently have regular Sky+ with a Netgear DG843DG router (white one) in service at my place. I am just wondering if there would be any benefit of me removing the old router and setting up the "new" one, or should I just leave my existing one in place? Also, ifs it as simple as plugging in the new HD box and letting it find the router and set things up, or do I have to delve deeper to get it working? I didn't set up the current rig so I'm not sure where to start.
      Cheers and apologies if this is a stupid question!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Netgear routers - absolute noob question

Take a written record of the stats in your old router, then plug in the new router and take it's stats.

Compare the two and see if there is any difference.

Different routers can perform differently. Typically this would be expected between different manufacturers as different chip-sets produce different results.

Obviously manufacturers do try to improve their kit and I would assume Netgear are no exception to this.

As for being a daft question, no.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

sfjnet (10-02-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Also, ifs it as simple as plugging in the new HD box and letting it find the router and set things up, or do I have to delve deeper to get it working?
      You obviously have to connect it to the router by a wireless bridge, ethernet cable or using homeplugs. If the Anytime+ has been enabled in the HD Box and you have updated your account to include Anytime+ it should automatically connect.

I find the DG934G syncs faster on my line than the DG834GT, yours may be different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

sfjnet (10-02-11)

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It is worth trying the other router, if it works use the one you find better, and keep the other as a spare.

The dg934g was based on the netgear DG834G V3 which was available at the same time that Netgear sold the DG834GT. The DG834GT being the premium model with (I believe) the more modern chipset. However that's not to say that the DG834GT will perform better, as it depends on your line, and the hardware at the exchange, and also on the firmware.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

sfjnet (10-02-11)