Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor Wireless in Evening, No Change in speed though?

This is a discussion on Poor Wireless in Evening, No Change in speed though? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Basically as the title suggests, my wireless performance from my router drops significantly in the evening time. I check ...

IcedBreeze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Poor Wireless in Evening, No Change in speed though?

Hi,

Basically as the title suggests, my wireless performance from my router drops significantly in the evening time.

I check my router stats and my d/l and u/l speeds are normal aswell as the rest of the stats.

I play xbox live and have 1 pc and 1 mac often running and any other time of the day they run perfectly.

So as you can imagine im very confused.

My wireless becomes poor around 7-8pm.

Has anyone got any ideas to why this might be happening because im stumped for an answer?

EDIT: probably important to note that my sagem router recently developed a fault and i had a replacement sent out so im now using a d-link router from sky.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Poor Wireless in Evening, No Change in speed though?

It's more likely that someone near you is on the same wireless channel and each evening decides to use their wireless connection.
      If you are running Windows you might want to look at a tool like netstumbler to see what is around you when your wireless connection degrades, you may see strong wireless signals on your channel that would explain it all.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Poor Wireless in Evening, No Change in speed though?

I would look at three things:

a. is there a Microwave/Television near your router, or something else that might cause electrical interference? This might be something in your house or the neighbours. Move your router to a new location if this is the problem. Looking at the time it would suggest to me that the issue is more likely a microwave

b. check that there are no other routers nearby that are broadcasting on the same channel. For this go into the router settings & change the channel to another number (check this forum for instructions on how to do this if you don't know)

c. do you have someone who is an amateur radio ham or has a taxi firm nearby? If their equipment isn't set up properly, then this could be the problem. Watching an Analogue TV channel, or listening to the radio, might confirm this (i.e. interference at the same time)

If you do have to move your router, try to continue to use the master telephone socket as your connection speed will suffer.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms