Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extend wireless network

This is a discussion on Extend wireless network within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear all, I recently signed up to Sky Broadband and live in an old house with thick walls. I have ...

Margot68 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherborne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extend wireless network

Dear all,

I recently signed up to Sky Broadband and live in an old house with thick walls. I have the D-Link DSL-2640S wireless router and wish to use a Netgear DG834G wireless router and a Belkin F5D7130 access point to extend the network wirelessly so that I can get a decent signal throughout the ground floor!

I can set up the Belkin and Netgear routers fine but in typical sky fashion they seem to have disabled the WDS settings in the D-Link router interface (why would they do that? what's in it for them?). D-Link were pioneers in this area and I believe the router has a Broadcom chipset, so I'll bet that the hardware has the capability.

I am keen to avoid trailing CAT5 cables around the house and to avoid buying new kit if I can, as the kit that I have got should be perfectly sufficient if Sky weren't so annoying!

Keen to hear of any solutions.

Many thanks,

Margot68

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Extend wireless network

easiest solution would be to hook up the Netgear to the D-link with an ethernet cable and then connect the Belkin up with the netgear wirelessly.

No more kit needed, all you need to do is to turn off DCHP in the netgear and make sure all 3 devices are in the same IP range.

Or for a small outlay (40) or so you can buy a set of powerline homeplugs and just connect the wireless access point up to the d-link directly.

Unless something has improved dramactically recently with wireless bridging I found it to give great signal stregth but awful throughput
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Undecided Adrian For This Useful Post:

Margot68 (31-12-10)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have read somewhere that WDS is not enabled on the 2640 Dlinks available in UK and Europe, although it is in the USA version, so it may not be Sky's fault.

If you have a house with thick walls, then Homeplugs are your best solution. You can plug your devices into them to give you wireless in the areas you require it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Margot68 (31-12-10)

Thanks

Thank you both. Homeplugs it is then.

Margot68

Thanks

OK, so I thought that I would just check that this would work. So I have hooked up the Netgear router (IP address 192.168.0.2) to the D-Link router (IP address 192.168.0.1) via ethernet, turned off the DCHP on the Netgear router. But I can't get an internet connection through the Netgear router. I've looked up the price of Homeplugs and the outlay is likely to be 60-80. Now I am worried that Homeplugs won't work either. I don't won't to spend this amount if Sky have managed to do something else that will thwart my plans!

I'm hoping that you can just tell me that I'm doing something wrong.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did you reboot your PC to pick up a new IP address? If you have done this and it still does not connect, try giving your PC a fixed IP address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Margot68 (31-12-10)

Thanks

Excellent, I can now get an internet connection through both the Netgear and D-Link routers. I still can't get a connection from the Belkin access point in the next room but that could just be a signal strength issue, reinforcing your suggestion of Homeplugs. Off to get them now.
      Thanks,
      Margot

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

amazon have these at 42

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I have been using these for ages and they work very well.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Undecided Adrian For This Useful Post:

Margot68 (31-12-10)