Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

signal rubbish over distance

This is a discussion on signal rubbish over distance within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi all just changed back to sky broadband after a year or so away. my problem is that the signal ...

sumtime is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

signal rubbish over distance

hi all

just changed back to sky broadband after a year or so away.

my problem is that the signal strenght just isnt good enough to reach my daughters self contained flat above my garage which is detached from the house. the router is situated upstairs in the widow opposite her bedsit window and we had no problem with our old talktalk router (the only problem we didnt have with them)

ive read about homeplugs but im not convinced these will work as the garage has its own fuse board and even its own master switch on the meter so does this mean its a seperate wiring system that wouldnt work with a homeplug (forgive me im a woman of very little wiring experience)

can i get some kind of plug and play booster that doesnt require me having do work out all the technical crap thats a llittle beyond me ... or something with an idiots guide???

please help cus broadband is a deal breaker and Idont want her moving back to her dads cus im crap at technology

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: signal rubbish over distance

If you haven't tried changing the channel, you'd be best doing that firstly:

- Connect a computer to the router via ethernet cable (Sky sent a yellow one you may have handy)
      - Open a browser and type into the address bar. When prompted for a username, it is 'admin' and the password is 'sky'. Without the quotations, of course.
      - Once logged in, click 'set up' in the top left and then change the channel from auto to another channel. Could be worthwhile trying 13 first.
      - Apply at the bottom of the page.

Disconnect the ethernet cable and test out whether the signal strength is any better.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

As long as the extension is not on a separate meter Homeplugs should work.

In addition to User's advice, make sure your router is standing up on its end in the supplied stand. This gives its aerial the best chance to work properly.

It is also possible to connect an N standard router to the Sky one, which will give better wireless coverage. This is probably one of the cheapest available, although it gets some good reviews.
      TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N Router Atheros: Computers & Accessories

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:

change the mode to 802.11b only slower connection speed of only 11Mbps but its more stable and goes alot further.
      i work for sky........