Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent wireless

This is a discussion on Intermittent wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; For years my wireless was as good as having the cat cable in but over the last few months the ...

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Intermittent wireless

For years my wireless was as good as having the cat cable in but over the last few months the speed on the wireless intermittently drops from 14 mbps to as little as 2 mbps and then a few seconds later it's back to 14 mbps. While this happens regularly it seems to be random rather than predictably periodic. I've tried changing mode & channels but nothing seems to help. The same thing happened when I changed the netgear router to the same model. The speed's consistenly 14 mbps with the cable in so it does appear to be the wireless. Positioning doesn't help because it still happens with the laptop sat next to the router.

Nothing new has been introduced to the environment that could affect the signal. The neighbours have a wireless network but have had for a while and certainly had it while all was working well for me. All I can think of is that the router is situated above a radiator but it's always been there even when all was working well. Anyone any ideas?

PS It's the same on 3 different laptops so nothing to do with wireless cards.
      Last edited by tomtom; 11-12-10 at 12:27 PM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent wireless

What channel are you on, what channels are in use around you. It may be that someone has moved onto an overlapping channel and are impacting your wireless signal now.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Paul, I've tried every available channel with the same results.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Try using netstumbler to look around you, it may show what channels are in use, it could be that there is that much around you that all channels will be impacted. It could also be that something that is only on now and again is the cause and finding it will be hard.
      Unless you have a completely different type of router to try then we will be hard pushed to say if it's the router or not causing an issue.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Try using netstumbler to look around you, it may show what channels are in use, it could be that there is that much around you that all channels will be impacted. It could also be that something that is only on now and again is the cause and finding it will be hard.
      Unless you have a completely different type of router to try then we will be hard pushed to say if it's the router or not causing an issue.
      Thanks Paul. I downloaded and installed netstumbler but I just get the "No AP's active" message in the status bar. I'm using a Samsung P210 vista laptop with a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.card. which I presume isn't supported?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Any significance in the fact that the upload speed test is pretty much the same for two tests where the download speeds are maybe 10mb apart or is this just explained by the fact that the upload speed is always less than the lowest download speed regardless?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try using Inssider from the link below, it is more compatible with Vista and Win 7.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try using Inssider from the link below, it is more compatible with Vista and Win 7.
      Thanks Isitme. I did that and all it found was my SSID so I'm no further on.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I stand corrected. When I moved the laptop out to the router it found 5 others. Three were using channel 7, 1 channel 1 and 2 (including mine) channel 6. I changed mine to channel 11 but (as tried before) it made no difference. I've tried turning off all surrounding devices like microwaves but nothing changes. I even recorded a speed test of under 1 mbps today.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try going to the wireless adapter's manufacturers website. Download the latest driver for your adapter. Open the Device Manager and uninstall your wireless adapter then reboot your PC and install the new one. Don't believe Windows when it says you have the latest driver, and there is a possibility that your existing one is corrupted.

Also try channel 13, it is little used and may give a result. Channel 7 is the default for the BT Home Hub, they are terrible for drowning out everyone else.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast