Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Intermittent wireless

This is a discussion on Intermittent wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme Try going to the wireless adapter's manufacturers website. Download the latest driver for your adapter. Open ...

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try going to the wireless adapter's manufacturers website. Download the latest driver for your adapter. Open the Device Manager and uninstall your wireless adapter then reboot your PC and install the new one. Don't believe Windows when it says you have the latest driver, and there is a possibility that your existing one is corrupted.

Also try channel 13, it is little used and may give a result. Channel 7 is the default for the BT Home Hub, they are terrible for drowning out everyone else.
      Thanks IsIitme. I've moved to channel 13 but have tried it before. The drivers are up to date but, as it's happening on 3 different laptops, it's unlikely to be that anyway, especially as all were working fine with the wireless router at one time.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you had tried different laptops. As you have also tried a different router, it would seem the problem is environmental. Going back to your first post where you say-
      All I can think of is that the router is situated above a radiator but it's always been there even when all was working well. Anyone any ideas?
      I would assume that previously the radiator was not operational, ie, no water passing through it. I know it is clutching at straws, but now the radiator will be 'working', it may be the water movement which is causing the problem. Can you move the router to another position and see if that helps? Alternately, close the valve on the radiator and see that makes a difference. If this has just started when you heating was switched on, it may be connected to that in some way. eg, the pump or burner switching on at random intervals may be having an effect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm afraid it was working fine last winter isitme. I first noticed the problem in the summer when the radiators were off, I just didn't realise how bad it had become until my daughter moved back in for a while and was using the upstairs room. I'm at a complete loss. Channel 13 worked fine yesterday but today it's business as usual.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

change the mode 802.11bonly for the sagem and d link routers also make sure that the router isnt near your raditors or windows or any glass units and make sure the is nothing in the home broadcasting on frquencies around 2.4GHz baby monitors chordless phones ect.
      i work for sky........

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Advising someone who has an internet speed of 14Mbps to use 11b is hardly helpful. This standard under the best conditions will pass a maximum of 4-5Mbps, more normally it will top out at 2-3Mbps, hardly acceptable for someone with a connection speed of 14Mb plus.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12