Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless 'N' advice needed

This is a discussion on Wireless 'N' advice needed within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I currently have a Sky Sagem router which has been ok up until recently, where I have realised that ...

Agent_Trig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless 'N' advice needed

Hi,
      I currently have a Sky Sagem router which has been ok up until recently, where I have realised that I need a wireless N router for my network.

Problem is that I think I may need a full wireless N router/modem for my needs.

Any advice and what I should or should not get would be much appreciated.

• My current wireless signal is weak.
      • I have a NAS drive connected via ethernet into my Sagem router.
      • Xbox 360 & PS3 connected wirelessly to the Sagem router.
      • Two laptops, one PC and two smartphones also connect wirelessly to the Sagem router.
      • Transfer speeds from the NAS drive to my Macbook is slow - cannot stream HD content without stuttering.

So I'm thinking that I need a proper full router/modem rather than just a router for my needs. Am I correct and what would you recommend to me. I would prefer something with a decent user interface as I am not the most technical when it comes to IT networking/port forwarding etc :-)

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Wireless 'N' advice needed

If you want to stay within the Sky T&Cs you should keep the Sagem to use as a modem and attach a separate N router. If you do a search there are several threads on how to do this, and what kit to buy.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

or you could get your user name and password to change the sky router if your willing to risk though i dont think sky will be happy lol

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

The problem I have with keeping the Sky Sagem router is that my NAS drive is connected to it and am I right in thinking that I could do with having a gigabit ethernet router to get the most out of my NAS drive?

Also, how does Sky find out that I might of changed my router? Why does this bother them?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Trig View Post
      Thanks for the replies.

The problem I have with keeping the Sky Sagem router is that my NAS drive is connected to it and am I right in thinking that I could do with having a gigabit ethernet router to get the most out of my NAS drive?

Also, how does Sky find out that I might of changed my router? Why does this bother them?
      How? Sky can see the vendor IDs of routers connected to the DSLAM so could easily run a script disabling anything not matching the Sky ID

Why? Cause it's stated in their T&C's that you have to use theirs so they can do what they want
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Trig View Post
      Yes you could.

That's the point - you keep the Sagem to make the connection to the internet then feed it through to the other router and turn off the wireless. You move your NAS and everything else to the N router. As far as devices on your network are concerned the Sagem router doesn't exist. No harder to do than hacking your Sky password and complies with the T&Cs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SadBloke View Post
      Yes you could.

That's the point - you keep the Sagem to make the connection to the internet then feed it through to the other router and turn off the wireless. You move your NAS and everything else to the N router. As far as devices on your network are concerned the Sagem router doesn't exist. No harder to do than hacking your Sky password and complies with the T&Cs.
      Ah I see, I was under the impression that the standalone routers were wireless only without any ethernet ports haha

What wireless N router with gigabits ports would you recommend? 5Ghz would be good too.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

5Ghz would be good too.
      What many don't realise is that 5Ghz has less penetration than 2.4Ghz. Its only real advantage is having a wider frequency range, meaning more channels are available, which can be an advantage if your area is swamped by wireless networks.

What you should buy depends on your budget. A cheap wireless N router can cost about 20 whereas an all singing and dancing wireless gigabit router can cost +50. Add another 20 if you want an ADSL one which will connect directly to the internet.

Your Mac book will probably benefit from a wireless N router, as from what I have seen on here, they do not seem to be too good at backward compatibility.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      What many don't realise is that 5Ghz has less penetration than 2.4Ghz. Its only real advantage is having a wider frequency range, meaning more channels are available, which can be an advantage if your area is swamped by wireless networks.

What you should buy depends on your budget. A cheap wireless N router can cost about 20 whereas an all singing and dancing wireless gigabit router can cost +50. Add another 20 if you want an ADSL one which will connect directly to the internet.

Your Mac book will probably benefit from a wireless N router, as from what I have seen on here, they do not seem to be too good at backward compatibility.
      Ok thanks for the advice.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No problems here running a MacBook off the Sagem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast