Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout - please help!

This is a discussion on Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout - please help! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, Not sure if this is the right place, please let me know if it isnt. I have been connected ...

jay88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout - please help!

Hello,
      Not sure if this is the right place, please let me know if it isnt.

I have been connected to Sky Broadband for around 2 months now, I have 2 laptops in my household, one which connects to it fine and another which wont!

My Sony Vaio OS Windows 7 connects to the wireless fine yet my HP Compaq Presario CQ60 with built in Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g wont connect. It says the network is available yet when you click to connect, it prompts you for the network key, this is entered correctly and the message Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout comes up. I have compared the security settings to that on my Vaio and they are the same.

I had this problem previously on my Vaio connecting to a BT network, I simply checked that both IPv6 and v4 were set to automatically obtain and it fixed the problem. I have tried this for this problem but it doesnt work.

Some people have suggested updating the driver, i have tried to do this, it says it is up to date but obviously cannot connect to the internet on that laptop to visit the website to check.

please, please help me!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout - please help!

Some people have suggested updating the driver, i have tried to do this, it says it is up to date but obviously cannot connect to the internet on that laptop to visit the website to check.
      That is usually the first thing to try. When you say you cannot connect, does this mean you cannot connect by cable either? Go to the manufacturers site and get the latest drivers, don't waste your time with MS update. Download them on to a USB stick using another machine if necessary, then transfer them to the ailing laptop.

You might also want to disable IPv6 by unticking it in the LAN Properties, as it sometimes causes problems. Sky do not use IP6 addressing yet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Authentication failed due to timeout - please help!

connect the ethenet cable and log on to the router and copy the network key from the router and paste it in when prompted for the key. if you cant access the router with the ethernet cable check on the laptops that can connect incase the network key doesnt match whats on the bottom of the router. if they are the same and you cannot access the router status page with the ethernet cable enter the network key into a note pad doc all in caps and copy and paste it from there into the network key prompt.
      i work for sky........