Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Question Regarding Wireless

This is a discussion on Question Regarding Wireless within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. I have a quick question regarding Wireless networking in Windows 7. I am with Sky and have Broadband ...

AntJac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:

Question Regarding Wireless

Hi all. I have a quick question regarding Wireless networking in Windows 7. I am with Sky and have Broadband with them. 9 times out of 10 the connection is fine however on some occasions it can suddenly drop and i have to restart it via the Troubleshooting program ingrained into W7. I have three questions regarding Wireless with Sky in Windows 7.

1. Should the network icon, once your connected to Sky via Wireless, be the 5 white signal strangth bars or the small square with the little fork next to it? (or a little Display Monitor as i can browse the net with both)

2. In Devic Manager i have three Network Adapters, One is called Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adaptar, one is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and the other is Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. They are all currently enabled and am connected now with the signal bar. However if i disable one i connect with the small monitor icon. Which adapter do i disable/enable to avoid any conflicts?

3. As i am on SAGEM router that came with Sky Broadband, should UPNP be turned off or on by default and can this cause wireless dropouts?

Many thanks for your time.

2. Advertisement
      Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL

Re: Question Regarding Wireless

The Atharos is your wireless network adapter. The Realtek is your ethernet adapter. Not sure, but i think the wifi miniport is to enable connection to a vpn. If you don't use it, you can disable it, but I doubt it would cause a conflict.

The dropouts are possibly something as simple as the wireless channel your router is set to. If you login to the router at, username admin password sky, you can change the channel. Its possibly set to auto at the moment as all the routers seem to be now when they are despatched. Try channel 11 or 13 as these seem to be the best.

I am not certain as I don't have win 7, but I think the little white signal strength bars are the ones you should see.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

The Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter is a virtual adapter connected to your WiFi card. It is used to connect other wireless PC's to the host PC enabling them to connect to the internet. To operate, Internet Connection Sharing must also be enabled on the host PC. One possible use is as a range extender, connecting other PCs which can't 'see' the router. It could be useful if it works, but I have never had the situation to try it.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:

1 - the signal bars means its identifying the network should change to the computer screen with the psu up the left side one its got an ip address.
      2 - Atheros AR5007EG is ur network card (most likely WLAN), Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller another network card (most likely LAN), Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter should be disabled which isnt really hardware but will use one of the other 2 to get a connection- it can use ICS (internet connection sharing) which can cause problems with ur internet connection if its not set up properly.
      3 - UpNp just means that the router will allow any device to connect to it, it has nothing to do with the wireless side of thing and will not affect the wireless connection. UpNp is enabled by default and most routers not just sky routers.
      i work for sky........