Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky router + wireless N router + me = a mess

This is a discussion on Sky router + wireless N router + me = a mess within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ...looks like the nas has a fixed ip (192.168.0.7) - no idea why I did that, must of had a ...

mjnelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky router + wireless N router + me = a mess

...looks like the nas has a fixed ip (192.168.0.7) - no idea why I did that, must of had a reason :-)

So, is there anything easy I can do to get it all working now? What's the problem with it not seeing it with that address - the sky one did fine. Sorry for being dim.

Also, in the buffalo, where do I set the gateway and dns address - it has these on various tabs - lan, dhcp, etc, it's mentioned all over the place! Currently it's working by pointing them to 192.168.0.1

Thanks for all your help and time,

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Ok, nas is on a static ip of 192.168.0.7 - not sure why this is stopping it from being visible, though.

Also, where do I set the gateway and dns? On the buffalo it's mentioned all over the place, like on the lan tab, the dhcp tab, etc. Currently its working by pointing it at 192.168.0.1

Thanks for your help and time,

Matt

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

In order to see the Bifflalo set up pages, what IP are you entering? If you look at the DHCP range of the Buffalo Lan what is it?
      Last edited by Brian69; 26-10-10 at 01:10 AM.

Muthaducka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

I have just purchased a Netgear WNDR3700 router and using your instructions have successfully been able to connect it to my Sky (dark grey) Sagem router for sharing the internet throughout my home.

I work from home and the Sky connection keeps dropping out a couple of times a day. The Sagem is located downstairs and I work upstairs. I'm hoping the new router will reduce the drop outs and improve peformance in other areas (connection to my iphone 4 - always been unreliable connecting to the Sagem) and my wifes laptop.

I entered the DNS IP's from my Sagem into my Netgear as well - Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97 90.207.238.99.

Thanks very much. It might be worth adding your instructions as a sticky in the Tech Help area for new users looking to use a non-Sky router.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Using Sky BB in a work capacity is technically against T&Cs as there's no SLA - something to bare in mind before you ever try to claim loss of earnings
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scooby_Doo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMNUN - Nuneaton
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question Re: Sky router + wireless N router + me = a mess

@mjnelson

While I was browsing the manual for the Buffalo I've noticed the feature shown below:

Separate feature
      When "Use" is checked, wireless devices connected to the AirStation can communicate only with the Internet side, not with each other.

This is found under the SSID definition, have you ticked it accidentaly. That might be why you can't see your NAS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sorry for slow replies - believe it or not I'm a software engineer and am currently on a training course!

Well, I connect to the buffalo via 192.168.0.254 but it also seems to be on 192.168.11.1

I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it should be :-(

Matt

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Have you reset the gateway range on the Buffalo router? (This is why I suggest completely different IP groups - much easier to troubleshoot which is which) Sounds to me like 192.168.0.254 is the path through the Sagem to the Buffalo (it sees it as an 'attached device' just like a PC), 192.168.11.1 is the default Buffalo gateway address.

If your NAS has a static IP of 192.168.0.7 you need to connect to it through the '0' network and change the IP allocation to the same range as the Buffalo router.

If your Sagem is on 192.168.0.1, has it allocated .254 to the Buffalo through DHCP (you are better disabling it and using the DMZ to direct everything)?

Static IPs aren't a bad idea for NAS units as you sometimes need to access the web setup pages or telnet to change settings and it's good if it's not 'floating' around the network with a different IP address that varies with the number of other things on the network, then you can bookmark the IP address in your browser.

Thanks

Thanks yet again.

I reset both routers AGAIN but this time I connected the buffalo to the sagem from lan to lan, not using the buffalo's internet/wan. I changed the buffalo's lan-side ip to 192.168.0.254, disabled its dhcp, and crossed my fingers. Is this like a bridge?

I plugged the nas back into the sagem, disabled the sagem's wireless, and crossed my fingers. Rebooted the laptop - not entirely sure if necessary - and it all appears to be working.

Still frustrated that I couldn't easily get the buffalo working as a router, with the sagem as just a modem, but I want to reattempt it at the weekend.

Scooby_doo - thanks for the suggestion, but I checked and my fat fingers weren't to blame this time.

Thanks to one and all for their help and time thus far - I truly appreciate it.

Matt
      Last edited by mjnelson; 26-10-10 at 11:22 PM.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeh try LAN to LAN and not LAN to WAN. when ur connecting to routers together all you do is LAN to LAN change the ip address of 1 router so that its 1 more than the ip address of the other router, ie both routers should be 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. the second router connects automatically to the first router acting as an adHOC or a bridged connection.

connect to the Buffalo router change the ip address to 192.168.0.12.
      (usually under advanced LAN set up) then untick use router as DHCP server
      click apply or save.
      turn the wireless off on the sky router.
      plug ethernet cable from sky router to buffalo router (LAN to LAN)
      job done

ohhh and turn UpNp back on that allows any device to connect.
      setting up DMZ will only work for the buffalo router and no other device that connects to it as the ip address all come from the sky router.the buffalo router acts as a switch.
      i work for sky........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast