Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Edimax 7711UTn

This is a discussion on Edimax 7711UTn within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, got hold of the Edimax 7711UTn USB adaptor with a view to connecting to my Sky router but ...

greeny65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Edimax 7711UTn

Hi all, got hold of the Edimax 7711UTn USB adaptor with a view to connecting to my Sky router but am getting low signal strength and speed of 50kbps at best. Reading a few posts on here suggests that this isn't going to work anything like well enough connecting to my Netgear DG834GT.

Before I waste any more time fiddling with settings, installing new drivers etc etc, is this a non-starter ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Edimax 7711UTn

Lots of variables. It all depends on your setup.
      PC / Laptop / netbook
      other wireless devices ok / this is first wireless device
      If first wireless device, does it work ok in same room as router ...etc

Due to it's small size and therefore small aerials, it's probably fine in the next room from an N router,
      but unless I was using a netbook where portability/size is critical, I'd think about using something else...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apologies, I appreciate more info would have been useful !

I am running the USB wireless connection on a PC which is in the next room (although open plan) from where the router is situated (attached to master socket). There is also a wireless laptop in use in the same room as the router.

I have a standard Sky b/g router which is why I thought I would have a problem using this particular device. However, this morning I am getting a v good signal and almost 3Mb on the speed test which, I suspect, is about as good as I can expect. The only thing I've done differently since I originally posted is let Windows control the device rather than the software that came with it. I also have an ADSL faceplate on order which should help clean up the signal as well.

Thanks for looking.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

However, this morning I am getting a v good signal and almost 3Mb on the speed test which, I suspect, is about as good as I can expect.
      You may find there is another network interfering at certain times. Try downloading and running InSSider from the link below and use it to discover the networks and channels in use in your area. Choose a channel as far from those in use as possible. You may have to check this at different times as not everyone keeps their network on 24/7.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You may find there is another network interfering at certain times. Try downloading and running InSSider from the link below and use it to discover the networks and channels in use in your area. Choose a channel as far from those in use as possible. You may have to check this at different times as not everyone keeps their network on 24/7.
      Thanks, yes, I did that last week.

Got 6Mb briefly this morning I'm not too bothered about fluctuation as I realise this is bound to happen, I was just concerned having read posts on here that the 'n' USB device wouldn't connect at all, or I was going to be stuck with download speeds of 500k.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was just concerned having read posts on here that the 'n' USB device wouldn't connect at all,
      All devices are backwards compatible with the previous standards, so nothing to worry about there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.