Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Going "N".....

This is a discussion on Going "N"..... within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I've been reading some of the threads regarding how to get "N" capability, and it's got me thinking..... I ...

mjnelson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Going "N".....

Hi,

I've been reading some of the threads regarding how to get "N" capability, and it's got me thinking.....

I have a Sky Sagem router (11b/11g) that is connected straight to the master socket. What I'd like to do is.....connect an "N" router to it (would I do this direct with an ethernet cable?), and then I presume I just disable the wireless on the Sky router, and enable the wireless on the N router (ensuring DHCP is disabled). Correct?

Would this setup be ok? It means I'm still using Sky's router (no breaking of T&Cs), and I'd be getting wireless N. Can anyone recommend the best router for this? I was tending towards the D-Link 655.....

Next question: if I needed to, how would I go about adding another wireless N router to the setup, for boosting the signal upstairs, say? (I guess there is a good chance I won't need to, but I'm being naturally pessimistic!). If you used homeplugs, and then ethernet cabled the extra router to it, how do you configure it to work? Would it conflict with the other router? Do they have the same SSID but different channel, or??

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I've just suddenly thought about all this.....and have got myself in a bit of a tangle as to how it would all work!

Thanks for your time,

Matt

2. Advertisement
      Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Going "N".....

Quote Originally Posted by mjnelson View Post
      Hi,

I've been reading some of the threads regarding how to get "N" capability, and it's got me thinking.....

I have a Sky Sagem router (11b/11g) that is connected straight to the master socket. What I'd like to do is.....connect an "N" router to it (would I do this direct with an ethernet cable?), and then I presume I just disable the wireless on the Sky router, and enable the wireless on the N router (ensuring DHCP is disabled). Correct?
      Absolutely. Just connect a LAN port on the Sky router to the WAN port on the N router. If you have nothing else connected to the Sky router just give the the new one a different IP range. As well as disabling wireless on the Sky router, another tip is to allow everything through the firewall and enable DMZ which effectively lets the second router control ports and connections.

Next question: if I needed to, how would I go about adding another wireless N router to the setup, for boosting the signal upstairs, say? (I guess there is a good chance I won't need to, but I'm being naturally pessimistic!). If you used homeplugs, and then ethernet cabled the extra router to it, how do you configure it to work? Would it conflict with the other router? Do they have the same SSID but different channel, or??
      With homeplugs you can set up the same way as above, but IP ranges are trickier - if you search the forum there is advice on how to combine two routers. It will need a separate SSID and wifi channel to avoid conflicts. You may not need it though if you get a decent router. The newest N routers are pretty good at throwing signals around a normal sized house.

Thanks

Execellent. Cheers for the reply. I may well be back in touch once I've purchased the new router..... :-)

Thanks again,

Matt

Scooby_Doo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMNUN - Nuneaton
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Post Re: Going "N".....

An option to consider could be one of these Buffalo Wireless-N300 Cable Router / Access Point Further info here

Includes the ability to have multiple SSID's each with it's own security, and can be secured from seeing each other.. and a bargain price at the moment

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby_Doo For This Useful Post:

mjnelson (21-10-10)

Thanks

Nice one - I think that one of those is worth a try first, esp. for 20 quid!

What's the worst that can happen.....

Thanks for that, much appreciated

Matt

Thanks

Just ordered one.....will post back any relevent info, in case of benefit to others.

Matt