Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would this give me "N" capability?

This is a discussion on Would this give me "N" capability? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, Have a few things in the house now that have Wireless N capability, but the Sky router is ...

Geoggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing, London
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Would this give me "N" capability?

Hi there,

Have a few things in the house now that have Wireless N capability, but the Sky router is obviously still "G."

My wireless range isn't great either (old house, thick walls etc).

Would something like this give me wireless N capability?

Buffalo Wireless-N300 Cable Router / Access Point | Ebuyer.com

20 seems fairly cheap to add this, if it will work with the Sky Netgear router. Just planning to plug this into one of the ethernet ports on the sky router and connect all wireless devices to this - not the sky modem.

Thanks
      Last edited by Geoggy; 20-10-10 at 11:56 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Would this give me "N" capability?

That should work OK. You may even be able to get it to work with the WAN port and just use the Sky router as a modem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Geoggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing, London
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

thanks isitme.

have ordered it - will report back

Marillet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky+HD & V+too
      Thanks

I have the DG834GT and I think I probably have some Wireless G (only?) items. If I added a wireless N router (like the TP Link or the Buffalo) so that I could improve coverage and possible stream some video around the house, would it be feasible/possible/sensible to have some wireless devices connected to the G router and others connected to the N router. How would I implement this ?
      Last edited by Marillet; 09-02-11 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added streaming video

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

This is entirely your choice.

If your new router reaches parts of your home that other G routers couldn't reach, then there isn't much benefit unless they are talking to each other.

As for connecting them together, there are a few threads discussing this very topic on this forum.

Essentially your main router (the one connected to Sky) is your DHCP server and you set the other to have a specific IP address in the right range and tell it to refer to the main one for DHCP.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

would it be feasible/possible/sensible to have some wireless devices connected to the G router and others connected to the N router.
      It is feasible, but I doubt if it would be required. The wireless N router would cover the area covered by the G router and more. It is more sensible to turn off the wireless in the Sky router. The only exception to this would be if you have a very large house and the two routers are are connected by homeplugs or a long ethernet cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marillet View Post
      I have the DG834GT and I think I probably have some Wireless G (only?) items. If I added a wireless N router (like the TP Link or the Buffalo) so that I could improve coverage and possible stream some video around the house, would it be feasible/possible/sensible to have some wireless devices connected to the G router and others connected to the N router. How would I implement this ?
      Relatively simple using an ethernet cable between 2 LAN ports. It would be a very good idea to get a 5GHz N router if you can to avoid interference - if you have two 2.4GHz wireless units make sure they are on well separated channels (1, 6 or 11).

If you restrict the LAN range of the Sky router (eg 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.50) then set the N router to gateway of 192.168.0.254 and a different LAN range (eg 192.168.0.2-100-192.168.0.150) both routers should pass signals across and pick up internet from the Sky router. If it doesn't work there are more technical options like switching off DHCP on the primary router and using DMZ but that shouldn't be needed. I just got a Linksys WRT320N from play.com for 32 and use that for 5GHz and gigabit network connection to a NAS unit and the original Sky Sagem for 2.4Hz, connected as above.

The surprising thing is that my internet connection is 40% faster through the Linksys than the Sagem! See below...

Sagem F@st 2504

Linksys WRT320N

Thanks

The surprising thing is that my internet connection is 40% faster through the Linksys than the Sagem! See below...
      If you can trust speedtest.net.

The Linksys router is connecting to the internet through the Sagem, so I cannot see how it can be faster. Wirelessly and within your LAN, yes it will be faster, but it cannot pull any more down from the internet than the modem in the Sagem will allow it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you can trust speedtest.net.

The Linksys router is connecting to the internet through the Sagem, so I cannot see how it can be faster. Wirelessly and within your LAN, yes it will be faster, but it cannot pull any more down from the internet than the modem in the Sagem will allow it.
      Speedtest have the simplest copy/paste! It's about the same using more reliable test sites.

I'm puzzled by the difference as well. Clearly something is wrong - either setting or hardware related - in the Sagem wireless connection. Before getting the WRT320 I had a Netgear N router that gave comparable speeds to the Linksys. I've also used an ASUS router with the same results. But the Sagem is passing through the connection ok so I don't want to mess with it. Even with 'g' connected equipment, 11Mbps isn't exactly snail pace, so I can live with it!

Thanks

If you are using a wireless connection that explains it. The increase in speed is not coming from the internet, it is purely within your LAN. Your sync speed with the Sagem must be up around 18Mb, connecting to it by ethernet or wireless N would give you about 16 Mb. The lower speed you get when connecting direct to the Sagem is down to it being only Wireless G, not a difference in actual internet speed. Both are very good speeds to get using wireless.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast