Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

This is a discussion on Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Can you look in the extension socket and see what wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals?...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

Can you look in the extension socket and see what wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      styla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Can you look in the extension socket and see what wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals?

None are connected in the extension socket at the moment, which was exactly the same when i opened the Virgin wiring they were only connecting wires to slot A and B and then nothing connected to the extension socket as it seems to be outputting it all by the extension socket going into the test socket. So at the moment only 2 wires Blue wire going into Slot B, red going into Slot A and nothing else going anywhere in other words in the 2,5 terminals both are empty.

Also realised that the location where the orange wire is coming from has totally been cut off from the back so i assume the BT socket is just totally messed up and by 1-2 wires in there it makes a difference for some reason.

Maybe that helps u figure something out?

Thanks

I would prefer you to replace the wiring exactly as it was in your original socket(as the picture) and take your stats. I think the Virgin socket may be faulty. There can be no other reason for a drop of 5Mb in your sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmmmmmmmmm did that bro made no difference for some odd reason :S? i think ill leave things as they are possibly and then see what happens

Thanks

Returning the wiring to the way it was should do one of two things a) Increase your speed back to what it was or b) resync at a lower speed with a much higher noise margin. One thing is certain, both the active wires must come from the same cable. If they don't someone has made a right pigs ear of your wiring. I would still advise against using the Virgin box, this seems to be when your troubles started.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Returning the wiring to the way it was should do one of two things a) Increase your speed back to what it was or b) resync at a lower speed with a much higher noise margin. One thing is certain, both the active wires must come from the same cable. If they don't someone has made a right pigs ear of your wiring. I would still advise against using the Virgin box, this seems to be when your troubles started.
      Hmm seems so

retured wire earlier noise margi nwent up and speed much lower even phone stopped working

1. left on virgin and its gone to 7900 kbps so hmmm maybe ill have to go back to the Bt socket somehow but get it to work again somehow :S

Cant think of any reason for net5 virgin not to work tho?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I presume the yellow wire coming in from the same cable as the blue one is gel crimped onto the red cable? If so theres nothing wrong with the way you wired the NTE5, the virgin NTE5 may be faulty as isitme says. As you seem to think the original BT socket's terminal #5 is damaged I would suggest you try and get hold of a new NTE5 to try out. Additionally check for any junction boxes and verify that extensions havent been wired from them.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      I presume the yellow wire coming in from the same cable as the blue one is gel crimped onto the red cable? If so theres nothing wrong with the way you wired the NTE5, the virgin NTE5 may be faulty as isitme says. As you seem to think the original BT socket's terminal #5 is damaged I would suggest you try and get hold of a new NTE5 to try out. Additionally check for any junction boxes and verify that extensions havent been wired from them.

In terms of wiring can the wires just be inserted/pushed into the slots or do they have to be cut around first so the silver wire inside is actually in the losts?

Secondly does the length of those make a difference?

I am very very very certain that the socket (virgin) cant be the problem as its less then 1 year old:S and was used when i had virgin and never gave a problem , unless due to virgin being cable net it might not be the perfect one for the purpose of browsing maybe?S?

Any idea?

Thanks

You should not remove the insulation from IDCs (Insulation Displacement Connectors) The wire should be pushed down into the slot using a special tool, called a Krone insertion tool. Do not use a screwdriver as this will damage the connectors. If you are stuck, use the edge of a thin credit card. The length does not matter as long as the loose end is cut off close to the block.

I suggest you find out which cable is the main one coming into your house and use 2 wires from it. You should not be using wires from 2 different cables as you say you are. If the Virgin box is OK, it is strange how your speed nose-dived when you connected to it. Either it is U/S or you had the wrong wires connected.
      Last edited by Isitme; 21-09-10 at 04:35 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmm gnna go home and try using the Bt socket again in the way it orignally was and see what happens, and then from there ill try figuring out this cable mess, all i know in terms of wires is, that the 2 wires conected at the moment is the only combination which gets the phone and broadband working anything else dont work :s, so theres really know other option in terms of wiring. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the Krone insertion tool now i know what i need

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast