Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

This is a discussion on Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Virgin socket will be an NTE5 so yes you can wire that instead of your ancient BT one and you ...

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

Virgin socket will be an NTE5 so yes you can wire that instead of your ancient BT one and you can then test your broadband in the test socket for any additional gains
      As for wiring it the incoming wires:
      The one that goes to "2" at present goes into "B" on the back of the NTE5
      The one that goes to "5" at present goes into "A" on the back of the NTE5

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

2. Advertisement
      styla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Virgin socket will be an NTE5 so yes you can wire that instead of your ancient BT one and you can then test your broadband in the test socket for any additional gains
      As for wiring it the incoming wires:
      The one that goes to "2" at present goes into "B" on the back of the NTE5
      The one that goes to "5" at present goes into "A" on the back of the NTE5
      wicked lol keen on trying hope i dont mess it up totally:S

As else i dont know many who can fix it lol:S

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok repalced the orignal Bt socket with the virgin now all working:

Stats look as such:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9925 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 12.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 16.1 db

Only 2 cables in use now Blue going into port B and Red going into Port A,

with the test socket the results stay the same, internet speed has gone down possibly due to the fact that router kept loosing and gaining internet during the procedure so i assume internet speed will go up itself?

Any ideas what next, will the speed boost itself as other stats such as noise margin etc, have stayed or gone up just by a slight?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So for some odd reason removing the ring wire and having a slight increases in the Noise margin has increased the speed that much
      It just means that your speed was not capped to your original speed. If it had been capped, you would only have seen a large rise in the noise margin, with no increase in speed. You may find that you do not see an increase in speed with your next improvement, only an increase in noise margin. You would need to phone Sky for a further increase in speed.

As long as you connect the incoming wires to the 2 and 5 terminals or the AB terminals if you use the NTE, you will be OK. You have the picture of your original wiring to keep you right if things go pear shaped.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Get the wires back into your proper socket. It looks like the Virgin socket is not compatible. Your speed is not going to increase where you are now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Get the wires back into your proper socket. It looks like the Virgin socket is not compatible. Your speed is not going to increase where you are now.

hmm proper socket seems totally dead dude, every time i connect the wires either speed boosts like crazy or drops like crazy + for some reason i need to connect red+ orange wire in proper one to get things working at all where as with this one only 2 wires seem to do a job, went to sleep last night and speed went from 10000 to 14000 this morning itself So somethin is very strange am totally clueless what tho, the orignal socket is a total mess and only works when it wants for some reason:S + when i tried conencting back the orignal this speed im getting now was the same i was getting when i disconnected and connected it So .....

im not sure what to do:

Call sky?

Wait and see if speed changes itself like last night?

Thanks

Call sky?
      As the problem is with your internal wiring they will arrange an engineer visit and charge you 100+ for it.

Are the 2 wires you are using coming from the same cable? Does your phone work when you use these wires?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

As the problem is with your internal wiring they will arrange an engineer visit and charge you 100+ for it.

Are the 2 wires you are using coming from the same cable? Does your phone work when you use these wires?
      Ment by calling sky - asking for speed boost

No one wire is coming from one end and the other from a differnet end phone is working perfect incoming and outgoing and internet is working too,

when i use the orignal bt socket the speed when i replace it now is staying like this and the only different is that in port 5 it required the red+orange cable whereas now it only needs the red cable.

So i can only think of either calling sky and asking them to raise the speed altho last time i called i was told my line can only handle a max of 3.5mpbs, or im totally clueless as both sockets seems to be giving the same result now?

Thanks

If you are using wires from different cables you have not got it wired correctly. Both wires must come from the same cable. Can you post another pic, with the 2 cables separated showing the wires coming from each one.

What colour wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals on your extension socket?

It is pointless calling Sky, they can do nothing till you sort this out.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you are using wires from different cables you have not got it wired correctly. Both wires must come from the same cable. Can you post another pic, with the 2 cables separated showing the wires coming from each one.

What colour wires are connected to the 2 and 5 terminals on your extension socket?

It is pointless calling Sky, they can do nothing till you sort this out.
      Ok basically at the moment i am using the NET5 Socket. The Blue wire as can be seen in the orignal picture is going to slot B and the red wire as can be seen in the orignal pic is going to Slot A , apart from the blue wire the is no other wire coming from that end, and secondly if the blue wire is replaced for the orange wire or anything as such the internet stops working those 2 wires are the only wires that seem to keep things going.

The orange wire seems to go into port 5 (orignally ) combined with the red wire (both orange and red come from the same end), whereas in this socket its only the red on its own doing the job.

so am not too sure where things are going wrong, as any other combination of wiring stops things from working totally..

furhter investigation shows the end from which the orange wire comes is cut off which means that the orignal BT socket with that port 5 is messed up and a thicker wire seems to make it work (ie 2 wires going in instead of 1), but speed stays as it is now....

so

maybe Bt need to sort out this totally messed up old wiring or just waiting might boost the speed?

What do u rekon?
      Last edited by styla; 19-09-10 at 04:08 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast