Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

This is a discussion on Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by styla on the limit so i am getting the speed i can at maximum or am i ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

Quote Originally Posted by styla View Post
      on the limit so i am getting the speed i can at maximum or am i being capped?

You reckon the test socket will make a tsdifference in terms of stats?
      You are capped, but only by the fact that the noise on the line will not allow you to get any more. It is not Sky who is capping you.

Until you can isolate your internal wiring you will not know what your line is capable of. If there is a wire on the number 3 terminal, pull it off, you may find this makes some difference. This is the ring wire which is not required with filters. There is no real substitute for an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      styla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cool Re: Sky sagem wireless keeps loosing internet

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Flashing the Sagem wont help, you need to reduce the noise on the line and the best way to do this is to isolate the socket by removing the extensions from it as advised.

To get your best connection your end, you should change the current master socket for a new NTE5 type and a filtered faceplate.

isolate the socket by removing extensions? What do you mean by that.

My current setup =

Filter splitting DSL and Phone Line

and then a dual connectot on the phone line end splitting phone and a cable going to the sky reeiver.

So what should i remove and how?

In terms of a filtered plate would this do:

NTE5 BT Master Socket Faceplate with Bell Wire Filter on eBay (end time 25-Sep-10 19:54:23 BST)

or this?

NTE2000 ADSL Faceplate Filter for BT NTE5 Socket & IDC on eBay (end time 25-Sep-10 20:06:47 BST)

Secondly as said ive currently got a real old filter so is any new filter compatible or would some sort of additional wiring be necessary and secondly how difficult is it to change these?

Thanks

The second one is what you need, but to use it you also need an NTE5 linebox. This is what you should get -
      BT Master Socket NTE5 & NTE2000 ADSL Faceplate Filter on eBay (end time 25-Sep-10 19:56:32 BST)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The second one is what you need, but to use it you also need an NTE5 linebox. This is what you should get -
      BT Master Socket NTE5 & NTE2000 ADSL Faceplate Filter on eBay (end time 25-Sep-10 19:56:32 BST)

hmm i see how difficult is it to setup one of those?

+ testing line at the moment the stats look as such:

Connection Speed 10237 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 12.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db

SO how can my noise margin just increase all of a sudden:S?

Popping open the current socket i can see cables going into numbers :

Such that:

5 - orange and red cable
      3 - green and black cable
      2 - blue and black cable

1,4,6 are totally emtpy no cable going inside those

Picture taken:

So which cable shell i go about removing?
      Last edited by styla; 18-09-10 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

It is a bit difficlt to tell, but it looks like the red and black wires are the main incoming connection. First remove the wires going to terminal 3, these are not required and can be tucked out of the way. Next remove the blue wire from terminal 2 and the orange wire from terminal 5. This should leave you with a black and red cable connected. Plug in a phone and you should have dial tone. Plug in your filter and router and take your stats.

The 1, 4 and 6 terminals are not used. 3 is the ring circuit, which is not required. Fitting an NTE5 is very easy, if you managed to remove the front cover plate, then you can do it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

It is a bit difficlt to tell, but it looks like the red and black wires are the main incoming connection. First remove the wires going to terminal 3, these are not required and can be tucked out of the way. Next remove the blue wire from terminal 2 and the orange wire from terminal 5. This should leave you with a black and red cable connected. Plug in a phone and you should have dial tone. Plug in your filter and router and take your stats.

The 1, 4 and 6 terminals are not used. 3 is the ring circuit, which is not required. Fitting an NTE5 is very easy, if you managed to remove the front cover plate, then you can do it.
      ok bro

removed the terminal 3 wires and no probs

Removed the blue wire and telephone went off , so it hast to stay

Noise margin now is: Noise Margin 8.9 db

any ideas then apart from getting a new socket?
      Last edited by styla; 18-09-10 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

As I said it is not easy to follow what goes where in the picture. You would not normally get solid red and black wires on an extension, that's why I thought they were the incoming wires. You will have to find out which cable is the main incoming one and remove the wires from the other one. You have gained a bit by removing the ring wire, but there may still be more to be had.

If you want to use the extension, you need a new socket.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

As I said it is not easy to follow what goes where in the picture. You would not normally get solid red and black wires on an extension, that's why I thought they were the incoming wires. You will have to find out which cable is the main incoming one and remove the wires from the other one. You have gained a bit by removing the ring wire, but there may still be more to be had.

If you want to use the extension, you need a new socket.
      oh slightly confused so the more i gain the better?

I thought i need the noise margin to go down altho my remvoing the ring wire it went up:S ?

Secondly i got a virgin media socket in the household not in use so taking that off and replacing it for the BT socket could that make a difference/is it compatible?

Looking at the socket it does have a test socket inside and the only wiring that has been done is 2 cables one going into port A and one going into port B behind the test socket the rest 2,3,4,5 have been left empty?

SO is it worth a try and are those virgin sockets compatible or are they different?
      Last edited by styla; 19-09-10 at 01:58 PM.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Noise margin can be considered a reverse measure of noise, the higher it is the less noise you have. So the higher the figure the higher potential speed you have.
      As you said removing the blue wire disconnects the phone you will need to remove the black wire from terminal 2 and trace it back to the bunch and then trace the wire coming from those going to terminal 5 and disconnect that one.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Strangely enought just realised i tested my speed and its showing:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14938 kbps 945 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 db 12.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 14.9 db

So for some odd reason removing the ring wire and having a slight increases in the Noise margin has increased the speed that much

Also shell i try replacing the virgin socket with this one or will it not make a difference the virgin socket does have a test socket too and is a newer version as opposed to the Bt one?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast