Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless issues

This is a discussion on wireless issues within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ive just joined Sky, and have issues with wireless. Ive connected to the wireless on my desktop computer several times ...

irfan12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

wireless issues

Ive just joined Sky, and have issues with wireless. Ive connected to the wireless on my desktop computer several times and it is set to connect automotically.

However sometimes it will not connect to the wireless even though it has picked up that it is available. When diagnosing through windows, it states the network key is incorrect, it will not reconnect even when putting the network key in again.

I have to restart my computer. When logging in again, it connects automatically or I have the same problem again.

I have the Sagem wireless router through Sky. I am also using a Belkin Surf & Share Wireless USB Adapter to make my computer wireless.

Has anyone got any thoughts to why this may be happening?

2. Advertisement
      lindley010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: wireless issues

First thing i would do is change the channel, go to 192.168.0.1 and change the channel from auto to something like 11.

You don't need to restart your pc either, disabling the adapter and re-enabling it should do the exact same.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You may want to do as above and change to 13 and see if that improves things, 13 is rarely used by default by router suppliers where as 1,6,7 and 11 are. Use a tool like netstumbler to check what wireless is nearby and what channels are in use. Belkins are not my favourite wireless devices, I have seen a number of problems with them that Netgear and Linksys units do not seem to suffer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When diagnosing through windows, it states the network key is incorrect, it will not reconnect even when putting the network key in again.
      This suggests you may be trying to connect to someone else's network. Go into the router wireless settings and change your SSID to one unique to you, IRFAN100, or something like that. You will now know you are on the correct network. If you have not already done so change the default router key to one of your own choosing. Use WPA and a key of 12 characters for good security.

Use Inssider from the link below to discover the channels in use in your area. Choose one as far from those in use as possible. As Paul says, no 13 is usually a good bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

irfan12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hello, Thanks for the tips. I have changed the channel to 13. It seems to be working so far. so watch this space!

Again thanks for the tips as it was reallys starting to annoy me!